Decocking Holster?

David Scott

I've read that people who use double-action decocker pistols sometimes forget to decock when the crunch is over. They holster a cocked weapon, which in the absence of a manual safety is not the best idea.

My question is, would there be any merit in designing a holster that trips the decocker whenever you insert the pistol? Could it be done? Would anyone buy one?

Any merit? No, on the grounds that one should not encourage incompetence.

Could it be done? Arguably, I'm sure someone could figure out how, given specific models.

Would anyone buy one? I doubt it. Though if marketed well, it wouldn't surprize me if I was wrong.

This would be a classic case of throwing "hardware" at a "software" problem. If the shooter is not sufficiently trained and practiced to make decocking the piece before holstering reflexive, then he is a disaster waiting to happen. No trick holster will prevent it.

Rosco

This is a solution to a non-exsistant problem. Lose that sissy pistol and get a Glock. That simplifies the situation.

I own decocking pistols; one in .380 and two in 9mm. Would no more put a cocked 9mm in a holster without decocking than you would forget to put on your 1911's safety.

Sounds complicated. No thanks. Build a holster that releases volatile corrosion inhibitors. ;)

Regards,

Ledbetter

Not only, like others have said, use "hardware" to solve a training problem, it would also be difficult to make. Anything that protrudes into the holster in order to trip the decock lever would also possibly be likely to manipulate the trigger as well!
As to the question of whether anyone would buy one - Who knows in this age! A local large sheriff's dept. went from Glocks to Sigs because of several "accidental" (yeh, sure, read as-negligent) discharges in a span of a couple yrs. Glock apparently came forward, and offered additional training, saying (rightly) that it was dependent upon this issue, not a hardware problem. But oh, no, the taxpayers can pay for new Sigs for everyone, since it has a decock and will be much safer! Not if you keep your finger on the trigger when reholstering will it. So, yes, someone like who makes the above decisions could probably see merit in a holster that decocks a traditional DA handgun. EricO

Back