Decline in hunting may hurt Texas economy

Drizzt

Decline in hunting may hurt Texas economy
By Anita Chang
The Associated Press

An aging population, urbanization and expense are contributing to a decline in the sport of hunting in Texas, which experts say could result in serious effects on the state's economy, wildlife management efforts and ecological conservation programs.

The number of hunting licenses sold in Texas has held steady since 1970, at about 1 million each year, but sales are not keeping pace with the population growth, said Kirby Brown, executive vice president of the Texas Wildlife Association.

In 1970, there were 11.2 million Texans. In 2000, there were nearly 21 million, with explosive growth among Hispanics. But the average Texas hunter, Brown noted, is a 42-year-old white male.

"Currently, 5.6 percent of the citizens of Texas go hunting, and that's expected to decline, because urban people hunt less than rural people do, and in Texas, Hispanics make up a small percentage of the hunting population," said Dr. Bob Brown, head of the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences at Texas A&M University.

Shane Smith, a taxidermist at Freer Deer Camp, recalls that he and his brother began hunting with their father when Smith was 5. Today, kids have other interests, such as video games, he said.

"Some of the kids getting started in it are older, 12, 15, 16 years old," he said. "Their daddies are just starting to afford it."

At the other end of the spectrum, aging baby boomers are beginning to drop out. "We're anticipating a loss over the next decade of 100,000 to 200,000 hunters," said Gary Graham, director of the wildlife division of the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife.

Some hunters say high costs prevent people from getting or staying involved.

"I went out on a hunt on opening day dove season. I spent $250 for the guide service, $100 for gas, case shells was $35, miscellaneous expenses were another $100," said Joey Banes, webmaster of Texas' Ducks Unlimited site. "So if you can't afford to keep the lights on at home, that's lot of money."

Hunting is a major boost to the state's economy, estimated at $1.5 billion to $3.6 billion annually. That includes money spent on lodging, equipment such as ammunition, guns and tents, hunting leases and access to land.

Hunters in Texas also generate $43.5 million for state wildlife agencies through the sale of licenses and matching funds from the federal government, Kirby Brown said.

Experts agree that hunters are key to controlling the deer population.

"It's absolutely essential for wildlife population management. Many states are overrun with deer now. Deer can have twins or triplets, and the population can explode," Bob Brown said.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/4218516.htm

I've been watching this pattern develop for some 30 years. I don't really see an answer.

Consider the cost of leases: Land values rise, so ad valorem taxes go up, raising the overhead cost of any ranching effort and therefore the amount they'd want to charge for a lease. Some large tracts are broken into ranchettes. Some folks buy "hobby ranches" and don't lease.

A given number of hunters, competing for an ever-smaller amount of hunting leases/land also means higher costs--which means the poorer hunters are priced out of the market. This happens even without video games and malls, etc.

And this is just for starters...

I remember a lease deal near Uvalde, 25 years ago. We had been leasing 4,000 acres of a 7,000-acre ranch, for $3,000 a year. The rancher suggested we lease it all, for an amount to cover just his school taxes. We did, but the new deal cost $6,000 a year. 75% more land for 100% more money.

However, it was still cheap, at $0.83 per acre. Some guys from Houston with fatter billfolds came along and offered $3.00 per acre, and we were gone. We couldn't afford the new price, and we surely couldn't expect a guy to throw away $15,000 just out of friendship...

Art

I have been invited by several people to hunt on their land for free this year. Seems that since they don't stock/feed there is no demand for their leases. These guys are ranchers (and one land developer who hasn't made a move yet) in the hill country. Additionally I have been invited to a stocked ranch in Uvalde (he stocks sheep and other exotics). This guy makes a living off his exotic hunts and wants a few "good shootin', clean, respectful and responcible" (his words) hunters to come downa and get rid of some deer and pigs. Cheap hunting can still be found, but it takes a lot of connection building.

As far as a solution to grow the hunter population, well, it's easy, take your favorite Hispanic out to the gun range, show him your pictures, and tell him a good hunting story. That article almost makes it sound like Hispanics won't hunt. I don't buy it, I know plenty who do. Maybe they're worried about the white male 42 year old image and are avoiding the "white male hunting establishment".

"Race" relations can always be improved by sharing a common intrest.

Nannuk
Sic Semper Tyrannis

(I've never seen a NAACP/Rainbow/Push sponced match shoot or organized hunt....)

Plain and simple,
Texas land owners are pricing themselves out of bussiness. Quality hunting in that great state is becoming a status simble. Unless you in the OIL Bidiness it's pretty tough to find any good deer hunting in the lone star state.

Hell boys & girls it's cheaper to go to Africa and hunt 5 or 6 plains game species than it is to shoot a 1 big Whitetail in Texas lest you know somebody or just get lucky.

There are some great varmint hunting oportunities in Tx but that going fast as well. All it takes is money and you honest hunter types be gone faster than gut shot Armadillo.

Don't y'all have any public land? I don't personally know a single landowner in my entire state who owns more than 1/4 of an acre. I still hunt every year. I've heard that some people use guides, but I can get my wife to give me a guided trip to Food Lion's meat fridge and have about as much fun and excitement as a guided hunt would be for me.
(Poodleshooter will someday, Lord willing, have a gentleman's "bullsqueeze" ranch/farm of his own for hunting and vegetable growing purposes.....)

Poodleshooter,

There is public land, but my opinion is that there are so many different types of public land with different rules and regulations for each that it is essentially a maze. I gave up trying to figure out the public hunting scene long ago.

Nannuck,
You should count your blessings to have that many invites. They are few and far between from where I sit. You must be a pretty popular fellow.

Rock_Jock: It REALLY helps to be a bartender!:D :D :D :D

Seriously, Just because a land-owner I know doesn't have hunting lease available doesn't mean I stop befriending them. Thats where I think a lot of people stray. Ranchers know ranchers who know ranchers. Ride fence lines with a guy and a few months later you get an invite from a friend of a friend of a friend. But slinging gin opens a lot of doors too.

Nannuk
Sic Semper Tyrannis

rock_jock: "Patience, Grasshopper." the info is available from TP&WD. Instead of trying to remember the different rules for all the different areas, just focus on an area that is of interest to you. That makes life a bunch easier.

The other thing to remember about any public hunting land, Texas or other state, is that opening weekend is always busy, as are holiday weekends. A smart hunter arranges to be able to hunt during the middle of the week, and commonly during a week BEFORE a holiday weekend.

:), Art

Hell boys & girls it's cheaper to go to Africa and hunt 5 or 6 plains game species than it is to shoot a 1 big Whitetail in Texas lest you know somebody or just get lucky.

That's not just true for Texas, but all the western US. Land barons and agents have become so greedy that they have priced themselves out of the market. Deer hunts average $3000 and are as high as $7000 throughout the west. Twenty grand to hunt elk and moose is not out of the question. Agents (hunt club owners, land access purchasers) are buying up land access at a pace which makes it near impossible to hunt anything other than public lands. This cottage industry that has developed over the last decade is choking the future of hunting. Does more damage in one season than PETA can do in a lifetime.

The real issue is that parents aren't taking their kids. I know guys that hunt but leave their kids home. Every year there will be less hunters and they will know little about the game and how to ethically play it. Hunting is not a cheap sport if you own no land.

When I lived on the East Coast I hunted public lands almost exclusively. Some of that was very high quality hunting. Texas could learn a lesson from some of the eastern states in that respect. Also, in Texas if you want to hunt public land there is very little close to the larger metropolitan areas. Long drives may help hold down hunter competition but its not condusive to lots of scouting time.

Also head that Chronic Wasteing Disease in deer will keep hunters out of the field in record numbers this year in the affected states. Many in those states say they will not likely eat venison this year if offered it for fear of CWD.

S-

One thing TX does that is a great idea is that they allow people to hunt on Sunday. Even ducks. Sadly I can think of at least one East Coast State that does not and that has an impact on interest in the sport. You can fish in NC on Sunday but not hunt.

If you could only Golf or attend sports events on Saturday, how interested would you be in organized commercial sports teams?
Not too I'd wager.
S-

Hey, Selfdfenz, the state of Texas owns very little land which is readily available to hunters.

A few of the state parks can be hunted on a limited basis, but the majority is via deals with timber companies and suchlike.

I know that TP&WD would truly love for somebody to come up with a management plan and the capital behind them to implement a mixed-use operation in several of the large state tracts out here in west Texas. Big Bend Ranch State Park is over 200,000 acres. They have the 19,000 Elephant Mountain WMA; the 106,000 Black Gap WMA, and another 40,000 acres NW of Presidio. But it's gotta be for year-around multiple-use, not just hunting.

Trouble is, if you don't charge $2,000/$3,000 a gun for the short mule deer season, you won't break even.

Let's say you already own 12,000 acres, and want to sell into the Trophy Whitetail bidness. That's a ranch four miles by five miles, or 18 miles of eight-foot fence. (Keeps the neighbor's inferior deer out.) You spend $50/acre on improving the water supplies and re-introducing deer-yummy growies. You hire the frequent services of a wildlife biologist, and do helicopter surveys. You have your electric bill and your vehicle maintenance and fence maintenance and your school taxes.

(And I have a raven on my front porch, bitching about something.)

And you can "sell" some forty or so bucks a year after an initial four-year period of little or no income.

Been running your calculator? Got a handle on what you must charge?

And that's assuming Grand-daddy gave you the land. If you gotta have bought it at $800 an acre...

Ain't nuthin' easy.

Art

Hi Art,
I agree with you.
But, I think for every hunter willing and able to hunt for the heavy racks there are ten that are just looking for an average deer. (or hog). I'm one of those guys. The guys that are managing for big racks with big payoffs are like Cadillac dealers in a world were lots of us are looking for a cheap used pickups.
If making a fee-hunting operation pay means managing for trophies I can't argue the point, its not my book at the end of the year. I have to believe there are just a lot of missed sales to guys like me that really just want a quality hunt (no/low hunter competition, SAFETY, easy in and out, low bubba factor) for themselves or their kids (2) without it costing King Ranch prices.

In NC and SC there are ok to excellent public hunting opportunities if you have the time to scout and are willing to get away from the Pack.
There are also private operations and leases that can set you up on a fairly decent deer for not much $$$. And there are the trophy operations and big bucks are required to get big bucks. The high percentage of private land ownership in TX seems to make the last option more common here and the other two much less common in my experience. But that's N. TX. Other places may be different.

I don't know how TX handles the funds it gets from hunting licenses but if they don't have an endowment they sure need one. That's a proven way to generate funds (interest) to buy land.

Take care and GBT
S-

I hate to brag up my home state, but y'all need to come to Louisiana! We have LOTS of State land available for hunters: the licenses are more expensive than they used to be for non-residents, but are still not bad (especially in comparison to Western states): and we have a boatload of deer just waiting for you! It's not too far to get here from most of Texas...

(I don't know about being a bartender, but being a pastor surely helps with shooting invitations... I've never had to pay a lease fee in the five years I've been here! For a prize whitetail, I might have to do something special, I guess. Hmmm... how about a 50% discount on the landowner's next penance??? :D )

Good hunting, and stay safe!

Hey Preacherman: Whats that saying about ...the two best friends a man can have is a bartender and a man of God?? Heard it a couple of times when I first started pouring suds, but have forgotten the context.

Everybody: I just got another invite Wednesday, this is from a guy who runs an exotic hunting ranch. He stocks Axis deer, mountain goats, and the like. He said that after a couple of floods (this year and last) he had to replace stretches of his high fence that had been damaged. He said that in the week or so that the fence was down his property got an influx of whitetails and pigs (thanks to the plentiful food source he has for his stock). He has been picking off the hogs when he sees 'em, but can't do anything about the deer. He says he's offering cheap rates to hunters for deer because he now considers them a pest. Might be worth checking with a few of the "exotic" guides in the south and hill country to see if they have the same problem and if they are offering discounted rates to get rid of these "pests".

Nannuk

Nannuk,

You got a name? I am sure a couple of us on TFL would be happy to bag a deer or two for him and pay a small fee for the privilege.

A while back this very subject came up on another forum. I made the comment that maybe these ranchers should make up a package deal at a reasonable price for those of us who's rather just hunt "cull deer" for the meat. One of the regulars on that forum, who just happens to be a big time person who sets up hunts all over the world snottily stated that the ranchers "Give those deer to their friends."
Seems to me, that a hunt for two or three animals that they'd "give" to their buddies should be worth, say a $500 hunt. A spike buck, or one with deformed antlers and a couple of does would suit me just fine. Never have been much of a head hunter. At least that would put a few more hunters out in the field, remove some of the excess deer and give us "Po folks" a chance to get some meat. It would increase some of the revenue to the state of Texas as well. It would even bring in a few needed dollars to the ranches that would go for this idea.
Paul B.

As many have stated-there is a big misconception that all hunters are interested in is big racks. That misperception pevades all of the media available for hunting, and, I think, jades the business decisions of guides. Especially here in the east, most folks want some venison for the freezer. I think that most of the rack hunters have turned toward bowhunting.
I myself, am a jerky man. I hunt for jerky and Brunswick stew fixins. Antlers make pretty knife handles, but that's about the limit of my interest in them.

Back