Decisions....

Dan

Here's a question for the rifle aficianados.
I have recently decided that I need a rifle (no, it's not because of Y2K :) ).

I want 1 or 2 rifles to fulfill the following parameters:

1. Fun, you know, busting caps at the range.

2. Tactical applications, just in case this go bad...

Hunting and competition aren't really my bag, so that's not really a concern. Varmiting (two and four leg) a distict possibility.

Scopes, I know nothing about. I'm thinking a carbine w/iron sights for 100 yds and closer, and a bolt action w/optical sighting for ranges beyond. Also, I have zero experience w/a bolt action rifle. The only rifle background I have is w/ the M-16A1 & A2 in the USMC, and I have owned and shot a Mini -14 at one time.

Now, my ideas are:

Option 1: An AR-15 with a carbine upper, and a flattop upper w/optics for longer ranges (see above). This could get pricey. I don't know if I could swing this set up. I would probably get the carbine first, then plan on the flattop later.

Option 2: A Mini-14 (no scope) for 100 yds and closer, and a lower end "Tactical" (looks and name do count for something, I'm shallow, I know) rifle like a Savage 110 FP Tactical w/a mid range scope. This could be pricey too, but it is more politically correct-never know what will be legal in 10 to 20 yrs...

Does anyone have any thoughts? Any flaws in my reasonings or ideas? Let's hear it.

Like I said, my experiences with rifles is limited. Any help would be appreciated!

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

weather its for Y2K or not, there is a scarcity of ARs right now.

If you want a semi .223 rifle the AR is the best of the pack

Ruger has only one supplier
ARs come from 6 or more manufacturers

check out http://www.ar15.com

read for a week
buy a bushmaster or an armalite
enjoy!

dZ

Dan...

Assuming you are familiar with the availability of NATO type ammunition, my recommendation is that you focus on weapons that fire these rounds (ie, .223, .308).

For semi-auto scoped or non-scoped I like the following:

CAR-15 A3 .223 (Colt Accurizied Rifle) This post-ban semi-auto has a 24" ss heavy barrel, and flat-top scope friendly receiver.

Armalite AR-10 (T) .308 same set-up as above but in .308.

Remington 700 Sendero w/ss fluted heavy barrel in .308 bolt action.

The Mini-14 is a cheap plinker, but cannot stand next to the above choices for accuracy in semi-auto.

Scopes: http://riflescope.com/

I like the Springfield Armory tactical models. You get the most bang for your buck there.

I concurr with the AR15 suggestions. Highly accurate, reliable and lots of parts for a long time to come.

They are a bit scarce (because of the impending Y2K doom!) but you can still find them. Be patient and look around.

CMOS

On the way home from work this evening, I stopped by the shop I would be making any purchases from. I enquired on the AR-15's.

Man they are proud of 'em.

The only model I could concieve of right now is the Bushmaster Y2K special. 11.5" barrel w/AK muzzle brake.

Now my question is, how does the shorter barrel affect performance? I know it wouldn't be that of the 16" barrel, but would it degrade it so much that a Mini 14 could equal it?

I don't think I could be happy with any other rifle than the AR. What's everyone think?

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:

Dan:

The 11.5 bbl has a welded muzzle break on it, bringing the total length to 16". This is legal as long as the break is welded. Note also that the break is not a "flash hider", as only a pre-ban AR-15 can have.

Bushmaster makes great products. Personally I would go with the "Dissapator" upper - it has a 16" bbl. The muzzle break is optional, it reduces recoil but makes shooting the rifle louder - directs gas to the sides.

If you buy an AR, you can always get an upper with a different configuration (remember, post-ban only - no bayonet lug or flash supressor/hider). The feds don't want you stabbing anyone while you hide in the woods! A second upper will run $350 - $400. I am considering getting a second upper for my Colt MT6700 (post-ban). Currently I have a 20" HBAR with detachable carry handle. I would like to get a lightweight 16" upper, possibly the dissapator or regular carbine (without the muzzle break).

check out http://www.ar15.com/ and the board there at: http://www.ar15.com/ubb/cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

Of course, if you get an AR, figure on spending another $200 - $300 on accessories and magazines and ammo, ammo, ammo.

AR's - love 'em!

------------------
Blackie
NRA, GOA, ISRA

the problem with the 11.5 inch barrel is that the velocity of the .223 hasn't builtup enough at this distance to yield good performance. You need at least 14.5 of barrel.

dZ

get the ar and swap the upper later, you can always sell the upper you don't want since they are not serial numbered and thus not tracked

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?

I'm really leaning towards the Bushmaster Y2K (the Dissipator is out of reach), I can always, like a previous post pointed out, buy a different upper later. I'll need to trade a couple of handguns though...

But, there's always a but, I saw a few rebuilt HK G3s and two or three used L1A1s that are more in line with what I can afford. Being clueless on rifles, does anyone have any hints or info on what I should be looking for?

Any info would be much appreciated.

------------------
Dan

Check me out at:

Dan, if those G3's and L1A1'a were "in line with what you can afford" then they were clones, not genuine HK. Again, parts will be hard to find and you still will not outperform the AR. There is a mass market out there for AR parts, accessories and modification options.

IMO, get the AR. If you get that BM you can EASILY sell that upper and get a 16" upper - without losing money or selling your handguns.

CMOS

Paul, how much does that CAR15 A3 run? Sounds good.

My all-purpose Y2K, poor man's "woodlands scout" rifle is now complete, though not good for varmints. Russian SKS, synthetic folding stock, see-through mount w/4x scope, zeroed for 150 yds, muzzle brake, bipod, sling. Fun to shoot.

Dan,
You have a lot of good advice here. I just thought I'd trow in my two cents.

That L!A! has a lot going for it. Yes, spare parts are not as easy to get as for an AR. Also, they will be Frankenstine Guns assembled from parts. Quality could be good, could be junk. But, if the gun checks out and you can live with the problems of spare parts, the L1A1 is a great rifle. Don't get me wrong, I have a BM Shorty AK and I would be loath to part with it, I also have respece for the 556. But the 762 will do a better job on 4 legged critters.

I really can't advise anyone to get an AR right now. Prices are nuts! Wait till after the first of the years if you want to go that route.

I had a BM AR15, but sold it. I believe that BIG BROTHER should leave all of us law abiding gun owners alone, unfortunately, being a realist I don't think the Gov't and their minions will. In California, the SKS is all but illegal! I work for the gov't, and I've often thought, "What will I do if a gun that I own becomes outlawed?" I really like my guns, but I like my house and car too. I can't afford to lose my job in order to keep a gun. It's not noble and I'm not proud, but...it's like they say, if you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns. So, inorder to prevent such a possibility from happening soon, I sold my AR and my VEPR and stuck with bolt actions. I like the "poor man's scout," the Savage 10FCM in .308 and I also have a bolt action .223. They're fun, especially at public ranges that limit the speed of your firing anyway, and the ammo is readily available. Best of all for me, being bolt actions they aren't "feared" by those whose power has corrupted. Just my opinion.

------------------
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of fight in the dog.

An FAL (metric) would be perfect. Contrary to what's been said, parts are easy to get. Unlike the AR-10 (.308), FAL 20 rnd mags are still around, in great quantities, for $10 apiece.

Whatever the choice, pick something relatively common,like AR's in .223, FAL or M1A in .308, or AK's in 7.62x39 (not .223).

Dan, watch that Thermold mag in the Bushmaster, until you've given it a workout. I haven't tried them, but I was warned by Bushmaster that Orlites don't work well in their rifles, so I would be cautious with the Thermolds as well.

Enjoy your rifle. Now you'll really start spending money. ;)

A 16 inch .44 Magnum caliber Marlin Lever Action...

Short. Fast. Accurate. Powerful. Not likely to be banned. Not EVIL looking. Not Threatening. Easy to get ammo for and to reload. Sense of STYLE.

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Dan,

Good choice, excellent rifle, not too bad a price. What more could anyone want? Except for another one!!!!

Regards,

Albin

Hey Dan, sounds like you did well! $799 for a BM is pretty good in today's market. I've got a couple of suggestions:

1) Go out and get some mags! The prices are really going up on those things. I prefer the 20 rounders over the 30's. They don't stick out as much. I don't mind using the Thermold and Orlite 30's, but some people have problems with them in certain rifles. Don't pay over $30 for a mag! Keep looking, the deals are still out there.

2) Start looking for ammo deals. Because of Y2K, 223 ammo is getting scarce. Think about buying mail order by the case. Some good sources are www.ammoman.com, AIM Surplus, and Cole Distributing. They get in ammo periodically, so keep checking.

Beware of gun show deals. If I bought all my accessories from gun shows I'd be broke. Start thinking mail order for most stuff!

HTH, and good luck!

Back