Decisions decisions

JimmyR

OK, I'm struggling to decide something here, and I need help. My LGS specializes in used and consignment guns (my favorites). He has two that both call out to me, and I am debating between the two. I'm in the process of selling one of my pistols to fund this purchase, and if the money works out like I hope, I should have enough for one or the other. Both guns are in very good condition.

Door #1: Ruger Security Six Stainless with 6" barrel. Asking price is $450

Door #2: Norinco 1911A1- 1 mag, hogue wooded grips. Asking price is $580, and it's a consignment.

Here's where it gets tricky. I've been thinking about getting into the 1911 world, and the Norinco seems to be a sturdy old classic model, with a reasonable price from my looking. I already have a S&W Model 19 sitting by the wife's nightstand, so I'm not sure if I "need" a new revolver that won't be in my carry rotation. What pulls me to the Ruger is that my first pistol I purchased was a Security Six, that I ended up selling for a gun I no longer own (I tend to buy/sell/trade quite frequently). I can honestly say that I've missed it.

Neither of these guns are made anymore, so the old "buy one and save your money for the other" doesn't really apply, since there is no guarantee I will find another in similar condition. Assuming I can afford either, which one would be the smarter buy?

IMO... & you really miss the Ruger... then buy the Ruger... there are just tons of 1911's out there & new ones jumping into the pool everyday even Ruger jumped in like last year, after the pool was already full, so there are many, more available in that price range

First of all....you should do whatever you want...

But "sturdy" and "classic" ....are not terms usually associated with a Norinco 1911..../ its usually more "bad finish", "cheap MIM parts", " bad frame to slide fit"....stuff like that..../ so I suggest you do some more research on the Norinco before you jump into that pool...:rolleyes:

The asking price for the used Norinco (by most accounts, a good pistol for the money when new) seems a little high to me. For not a whole lot more, you can buy an equivalent but new 1911 pistol from various manufacturers.

I agree with Magnum Wheel Man's post. The market is flooded with 1911 pistols close to your price range; the Security Six not so much.

The Norincos were never made with MIM parts and all the ones I have seen had good finishes and very decent workmanship. They are very tough guns, all forged steel and near perfect copies of the M1911A1 (the sights are different and the grip screws and bushings have metric threads).

Norincos have been used by many builders of target pistols as they are one of the few recent guns that do not use cast parts. I have one that I put 9500 logged rounds through and another with over 4000 through it with NO (that is zero) failures. I don't think I need to do any research to say they are good guns. (At one time they were denounced for political reasons - Commie gun, etc. - but now that our corrupt leaders have sold out to China, almost everything on the market is made there.)

Jim

We disagree James,

My information says the current Norinco's are coming in from Turkey...where the older ones were coming in from China.../ but I also don't know that to be fact.

I've seen enough of them at my local gunshows ...to firmly say they're a step below RIA in my opinion / and I wouldn't say the RIA is a quality weapon.

If I were looking for a quality 1911 - on a budget - I'd look at the new offerings from Colt. I think you'll get a much better gun from Colt than Norinco.

I have several higher end 1911's ...and my primary carry gun is a Wilson Combat CQB 5" gun.../...so I have some experience with 1911's ....but I will say that I have not stripped a Norinco down to a bare frame and inspected it either. My opinion is based solely on what I see at the gunshows...and I'm not impressed. But then, that is why we debate these things...

Door #1: Ruger Security Six Stainless with 6" barrel. Asking price is $450

Door #2: Norinco 1911A1- 1 mag, hogue wooded grips. Asking price is $580, and it's a consignment.

.... Assuming I can afford either, which one would be the smarter buy?

Buy the Ruger. There are lots of people that make 1911s.

AFAIK, this is an older, Chinese made Norinco. The price is higher because it;s a consignment, the Ruger is not.

Generally, when I get a nearly unanimous suggestion to get one over the other, I know I made the right call when I told my guy to "flip the tag" (i.e. hold the gun for me to pick up later) on the Ruger. :D

I'd go with door number one...................mostly because I've got that exact gun! Offer them $400 and see if you get any takers?:D

I'm in the process of selling one of my pistols to fund this purchase
What pulls me to the Ruger is that my first pistol I purchased was a Security Six, that I ended up selling for a gun I no longer own (I tend to buy/sell/trade quite frequently). I can honestly say that I've missed it.
Hmmm, well, you did also state:
OK, I'm struggling to decide something here, and I need help.
I know which one of those two I would pick, but it's not the advice I could possibly offer to you.

Instead, do the obvious.
Quit chasing "the next gun." Love the ones you have, keep the ones you like, and work toward getting more.

Nothing in the world wrong with sending something away that doesn't fit, for whatever reason, but you've already admitted that you do this a lot, and also that you've missed (at least!) a Security Six by doing exactly that.

However, there's the evil guy sitting on my OTHER shoulder that wants to root you on with vigor, because THAT guy knows that it's folks like you that stock the used market with great stuff for me to have a shot at. ;)

@Sevens: I buy used guns almost exclusively. I have bought approx 20-25 guns total in the 12-18 months I have been collecting, and only 2 have been new. That's part of why I buy and sell so much is because I don't have as much experience, so it's my way of trying something that fits a need, and selling it if it doesn't work. Plus, hey, it's fun!

That said, which would you pick. I've already decided on the Ruger, so I'm just curious now...

Absolutely, definitely, with no reserve whatsoever... I'd also pick the Ruger.

The Norinco has a fine reputation for what it is -- or what is was in it's heyday: an extremely SOLID chunk of gun. From the 80's. If you have little hands-on experience with 1911 pistols, you may find (everyone is different!) that a lot of the amenities that are popular now and closer to "standard" offerings now are missing from older 1911's, and certainly from a Norinco.

I would not only choose the Ruger in this stand-off, I'd also steer most folks far away from a Norinco if they have little experience with a 1911 and really wanna see what all the fuss is about, and why they seem to be so popular now.

Back