decent price on used 640?

EricM

I found a well-used smith 640 (.357) in town, but I'm unsure if the price is reasonable. The gun is stainless with a somewhat dull finish (probably from carrying it a lot) and no hammer. The action seemed tight and smooth. Shop will sell for $360. Decent price?

Eric,

In my opinion it's a tad high for a used gun, but they are good firearms. I like mine. If you can't get him to lower his price, you still may want to consider it.

BTW, I shoot .38 Spl+P's in mine, either Federal Personal Defense ammo or the 158 gr LSWCHP. The latter is a good round for a snubby.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Thanks for the reply. The $360 price was $20 down from the tag, and that was his limit :(. I can wait.
thanks, Eric

Eric,

This thread demonstrates one of the problems in pricing firearms, especially used ones, across a country as large as ours.

My initial reply was based upon two opposing situations. The first is that I am in Massachusetts, close to Springfield, therefore in S&W's backyard, where one could reasonably expect to see a lot of used S&W revolvers, which tends to drive the price down.

The second situation is that I am in Massachusetts, where the AG has put into effect stringent "consumer protection laws" (read harsh gun control laws) which restrict the kinds of firearms which can be sold. This tends to drive the price of used, pre-law firearms up, since they are exempt.

The dealer also plays a large part in the process. Some dealers have much higher prices than another for whatever reason. It could be volume, greed, or whatever.

I am curious where you are located, and how this dealer's prices generally compare with others in your area.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Frosty, I'm in Boise, ID, and gun prices are relatively high here I have noticed. I'm not sure why as there are tons of gun owners and guns here. Used prices in the paper are usually higher than in the gun shop, which may be due to the paper work gun registration issue. Guns were priced lower in Phoenix, from whence I came. I checked gunsamerica.com, and the price varied from $275 up to $400 or so.

Eric,

Guess I am gonna have to fall back to Tommy Lee Jone's advice in "US Marshalls";

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickle-plated sissy pistol.".

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Back