decent binoculars in the 250 buck range..

NHSHOOTER

Looking for reviews and opinions on binoculars for deer hunting..give me your ideas..Looking for good light gathering optics

Are you looking for full size glass like an 8X40. Or something more compact along the lines of 6X30? There are a lot of decent bino's in that price range. As long as you keep the objective lenses 5X larger than the magnification you should be pretty good in low light. 8X40, 10X50, 6X30 ect. If the lenses are smaller, 8X32, 10X40 etc. you will give up some low light use. But in order to keep size and weight down that may be necessary.

Several years ago I decided to buy a really good binocular. At least by my financial standards. I bought some Pentax 8X42's. At the time MSRP was over $400, but I found a display set that I got for under $300, they are closer to $600 toay. They are VERY good binoculars, but I don't normally carry them hunting anymore. They are just too big.

The ones that I most often use and would recommend are no longer in production. In order to keep the magnification and objective size in balance I really like a 6X32. I give up some magnification, but keep lenses large enough to let enough light through. I really think this is the perfect compromise of size and light gathering. Unfortunately almost no one makes anything similar.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-katmai-6x32mm-compact-binoculars.html

Don't be put off by the price. I bought a pair of these several years ago to keep in the truck. At $85, they are surprisingly good. Truth is, these end up going hunting more than any others I have. They are always in the truck and I don't always remember to pack the better ones.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x30-BX-1-Yosemite-Binocular-P48061.aspx

Another compact pair that I've used that left a favorable impression were these

http://swfa.com/Vortex-8x28-DiamondBack-Binocular-P89927.aspx

That much magnification with lenses that small isn't supposed to be good in low light. But for $140, these do very well.

I am a Zwarovski[sp] man from thirty years back. BUT a hundred buck set of 8x30 Leupold YOSEMITE glasses have impressed the dickens out of me for the past year or so.
And so it goes...

Vortex and Hawke have good ootions in that price range

I have used both. While not up to the quality of optic my Stieners are, either is a good buy

I have a bunch of binoculars, monoculars and few range finders. I use them depending on how and when I am going to be hunting.

If you are going to spend in the range of $250 and don't have a rangefinder, it might be worthwhile to look at rangefinders. Optically, they won't be as good as the binos, but the benefits might be worth it to you.

I primarily use the Burris Signature and Landmark binoculars, but they don't make them anymore (they do still warranty and service them though) and they can be found in 6, 8, 10 and 12x from about $70 to $250 and they are a bargain. If I plan to sit a lot, I usually take one of these along.

Vortex, Steiner are good currently produced binos.

Regardless of carrying binos or a rangefinder, I always have the Vortex Monocular (Solo 10x26) which is about $100. It is smaller, lighter, good glass and easy for me to always have at the ready for spot and stalks.

Another vote for a mono style instead of the much larger binos.
My usual binoculars bit the dust when the center focus adjuster froze up solid.
So I separated the two halves and just use the one side with the focusing eye piece.
Works great at half the size.

Any pawn shops near you? Look for the wee compact types. In pawn shops you must know what stuff retails BNIB for, but you can usually get higher end kit for reasonable money.
You want 'light weight' kit for hunting too. Cabela's is listing Steiner Champ Compact 8X binoculars at $99.99. 10X runs $129.99. Weigh 10 ounces fits in a pocket.

Back