Debating on a Phoenix HP22. Need Help

Lee M.

I have always been a big fan on full-size autos and tried to avoid the compacts. The Makarov is the smallest pistol that I own, yet it is still too big for what I'm wanting. I want a good pocket pistol to use for carry when carrying a full-size gun isn't practical. I've been looking at the Phoenix HP22 and I like the feel of the pistol in my hands. Can anyone help me on this? Is the pistol a good reliable gun or is it a jam-o-matic? Are there any better pistols within the price range ($90 - $140)? Any feedback appreciated.

Mine has functioned flawlessly with every kind of .22 ammo
I've put through it, though I realize this has not been everyones' experience. Best gun under a hundred bucks I've
ever bought.

Lee,
The Phoenix I had was a little stiff for the first 50 rounds but after the breakin it shot like a dream. It is a neat little gun for the price.

I bought mine for $10 from a guy who just wanted to get rid of it. I gave him another $10 when I ran into him a few weeks later after I found out it worked. Still by far the cheapest gun I'll probably ever buy. I've had fun with it and put hundreds of rounds through it (I haven't shot it all that much, but kids I've taken shooting seem to love it). Anyway, it is fairly reliable, although jams are not uncommon with mine (maybe once every 3 or 4 magazines). It has too many safeties in my opinion (two thumb safeties). The trigger also doesn't always reset unless I conciously let it go farther forward than is my habit. It is kind of heavy for its size. It's a fun little gun to shoot, but I wouldn't pick it for self defense. I would recommend a Kel-tec P32 (although it costs more), or an FEG PA-63 (under $100 dealer cost) - it is lighter than your Makarov, but larger than the Phoenix. Good luck.

Doug

I owned one. Bought the extra "target barrel" and finger-rest magazine, too. It always worked well for me. I ended up giving it to my brother as a gift, just to make him a handgun owner. The only criticism I had of it was that I had to let the trigger go farther forward than I would have preferred to reset.

My only experience with the Phoenix was when I looked at NIB HP 22 at my local gun shop. I liked the features, but this particular pistol was broken. The shop owner thought that an employee may have handled the gun improperly (can't remember exactly how). If you do a search you'll find that most owners like this pistol. I do think that the Taurus PT-22 can be found in the $140 range.

Lee, I would go with the Taurus...I own one and it loves the Fed. bulk bullets from Wallyworld. You can spend more money on a finnicy Italian gun or other Euro. .22's but for the guarantee (you may or may not need... but it's there) you can't beat it. If you want a better round than .22 go with a .32. I have heard/read very few negatives about the Keltecs. That's just my .02

Phoenix

It was my very first firearm, as I have stated here before.

Mine has never presented a problem when I used Stingers.

I agree, I think it is a neat little gun, not at all hard to look at. It has a few too many safeties, and I have the same habit of not allowing the trigger to reset, but I have fired thousands of rounds through mine, and for the money, I didn't go wrong. Many a finishing shot on a nearly dead groundhog.

I have had to send mine back for repair, and Phoenix service has been great.

At one time, the Raven was one of the best cheap .25 autos, too.
If I remember correctly, Phoenix used to make the parts for the old Raven factory. The Raven factory burned down, and Phoenix took on the manufacture of the little buggers.

Back