Dealer Customer Safety Issue

Master Blaster

What do you folks think of this

Last week I was in a local dealer a very large one which carries many expensive guns.
This dealer also has a large indoor target range, so safety should be a main concern amoung all employees.

I was looking for a used S&W revolver and wanted an older one in mint condition since I had heard good things about the trigger and accuracy of pre 1980 S&W revolvers.

In the case they had a 6" model 19 blued which appeaered to hbe in good condition.
The sales person who is a police armorer with a local police force & works PT at this gun store, went over the timing and condition of the gun with me. They were asking $269 top dollar for a gun that had been shot alot and cleaned little.

I am handling the gun and notice that in single action if you apply slight pressure to the hammer the hammer will fall!!!

This was never mentioned to me by the salesman, and when I pointed it out he said it could be fixed with a couple of strokes with a stone on the sear.

I think that they would have sold me the gun without mentioning this serious safety problem. I am a revolver novice and mentioned this to the person.

What if I bought the gun and while cocking the hammer at their range where I shoot often the gun went off un expectedly and casused a riccochet or worse.

I know the owner approves and inspects every gun they take in trade and they do not have a large used section.

How could the dealer allow this????

------------------
Master Blaster

They should have mentioned it. I believe I would pass on that one and find a nicer one that hasn't been shot out.

You would think they would be concerned about liability for damage done by an unsafe gun, those aren't Beanie Babies they are selling.

On http://www.gunsamerica.com.....
mod 19 $250.00 model 19 in excellent condition bought in 1979, shot 20 rounds through it and then put in closet for last 20 years. has original box, papers and even paper that it was wrapped in. this is a very clean gun, like new in box.price plus actual cost of shipping. ship to ffl only.
19 $325.00 PISTOL CAL. 357 MAG. NEW IN THE BOX
19 $260.00 Model 19, blued, adj sights, .357 magnum, mint condition, orig box, price includes shipping.
There are MORE there too !
Hope you find one :)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Sounds like the trigger has been honed for a light letoff. This is easy enough to fix and installing a new sear (which has to be hand fitted) would do nicely.

Here's some tests to do on the gun. Make sure it's empty and pointed in a safe direction first.

Cock the hammer and push on the back of the hammer. If the hammer releases, you've got a condition known as pushoff. It must be returned for repair.

Cock the hammer again and with a plastic mallet, tap the sides lightly and the back (don't rap against the cylinder though). What you're checking for is to see if any sort of jarring will release the hammer. If it does, return it. (note: this is not an official test but is one I will use on a suspect gun).

Please post results for the benefit of the rest of us here at TFL. Thanks.

4v50 Gary

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back