Deal for S&W model 10?

RHarris

I just picked up an issue of Shotgun News. On page 16 the is an ad for J&G sales. They've got some S&W M&P and S&W model 10 revolvers advertised. First of all, I thought the model 10 and M&P was the same thing. Is it? Anyway, they are all 4" .38 specials ranging from $99 to $139 ("fair" condition to "very good condition").

These prices seem pretty low. Has anyone dealt with this place before? What can be expected in one of these revolvers? Are they most likely very old? Hasn't that design been around for a hundred years? Would anyone know if these would be good shooters?

I know the Model 10 did just fine for most police departments for a good 100 years. I wouldn't mind picking one up for that price. Would make a nice car gun.

The M&P was the designation used before S&W starting using number designations in the '50s. The M&Ps are probably not rated for +p ammo because of their age. Hard to say how good they will be. I believe there are some prison systems which are finally switching to autoloaders. If these wheelguns are surplus from them, they are probably in good mechanical condition. If they are from some 3d world country, who knows?

You could call and ask.

Most LEO revolvers and pistols are carried more than they are fired. The result is worn bluing, minor rust or beat up stainless, but near new mechanisms.

If you want pretty, these might not do. If you want reliability and quality, they should work fine after maybe a good cleaning.

Jim

J&Gs S&W are brinks trade in guns.Look scruffy on the outside but mechanics good.However they don't have a real good rep for standing behind what they sell by mail.
They allso make you jump through hoops in the store.

For plinking fun and at that price, I don't think you can beat those guns. It's one of those guns that if you dropped in the woods or scratched up, you wouldn't lose sleep. Now, if it was a Python...

FWIW, I've bought a couple of ex-state prison guard Model 10s. Their blue was worn and they had very slight rust pitting. But they were well-made guns and mechanically fine. I even had one of them refinished by the factory, making it seem almost (but not quite) like a new gun. Along with the SAA, I think the Model 10 is about the most traditional and familiar of American revolvers. Anyway, IMHO they make great shooters.

Back