Dead deer walking!

coming soon to a theater near you...
whats up! that was the entrance hole? tough tracking job. helen keller could have found that deer.
w/ her hands in her pockets.

Bad shot. Shooter should have waited for the deer to stand still for a second. With a shot that close, there's no reason for such a poor placement. Shame on the shooter for pulling the trigger when he did. That's my $0.02.

Hey DGC;

We hunt out near Graham. We have a lease out there near Graham and a couple hundred acres near Bryson. I know your neck of the woods.

I misspoke. I didn't see the slow-motion. Actually, that was a well-placed shot. I meant to say that I am surprised that the deer didn't fall sooner...instead of standing there like he was at a Kwik-Lube.

Hey DGC;

We hunt out near Graham. We have a lease out there near Graham and a couple hundred acres near Bryson. I know your neck of the woods.

There is some good hunting off 380 around Bryson

I saw a picture of a Mountain Lion taken near Bryson in the local paper. The thing weighed over 200 lbs. We have had a few sightings near the tank, but they were probably in the 75 lb range.

With a shot that close, there's no reason for such a poor placement.
+1 Especially from a tower rest. :rolleyes:
Tell me what would be a bad shot about putting one in the heart? I'm confused!
It wasn't a heart shot...
The blood was squirting out under pressure... Only the heart could provide that much pressure... It was an artery shot.

The shot was also too far back to hit the heart...

Anyway, it was a nice buck and a trophy to to pleased with. ;)

Last edited:
I hit a doe somwhat like that this gun season, from about 20 yards away with a .270... took out lung/someheart... She walked about 70 yards away,, stopped stood there, and i could watch the blood drain out of her in a steady stream, not as bad as in the video clip, but it was draining out.

I figured she was done for,, but she was alive for a good 15 minutes,,,, i kept the scope on her cause she kept trying to get up,, but coudlnt... after 15 minutes, i decided she wasnt getting up but was still alive, so id get out of my tree stand and cut her throat, but thankfully she was expired when i got to her.

Dsc06181.jpg

where she stopped and i could watch it drain,,, i actually thought there would have been more blood here then what there was.

Dsc06179.jpg

Question! If you shoot one and it bleeds out like that. quickly will the meat taste betta?
I guess im asking the sooner the better.

Question! If you shoot one and it bleeds out like that. quickly will the meat taste betta?

hmm,, honestly.. i dont know... i never heard of that one before. i dont really see how that would effect the but, but i don't know.

One thing I do know... is the young deers are sooo tastey and tender. Now i dont go killing yearlings, but i have taken a few,, and they are delicious :)

There are some who think so... I don't

Many will cut the throat of the deer for this purpose... I don't
The meat will be just fine if you gut it quickly and wash it out carefully.

I think the meat will "taste betta" if the deer is fat, and corn fed, hazel nuts etc...

If they are chiefly pine-fed and lean, it will taste more like "mutton".
For this purpose we mix pork or beef fat and hamberger the meat.

Makes great venison salami too!

:D

Bowhunted deer, usually bleed out in the lungs, if I place my shot properly.
I have noticed no difference in the taste.

I have hunted the Spike Box. Good hunting out your way.

My son was about 12 years old, and was pretty good size for his age. He got to listening to the guys around camp tell him that the first thing you do when you knock a deer down is to cut his throat. I have always told him the FIRST thing to do is to make sure the deer is dead,(Forget the knife bul s**t)

He knocked down a buck the next morning and ran from his stand with knife in hand, and when he straddled the deer to cut his throat, the deer stood up and caught his camo by the crotch. This resulted in a pretty good beating from the deer before it finally died. Since then he has decided that dad was right, They taste just fine without having to cut their throat.
It was one of lifes little one time lessons for him.

yea in my very limited experience a heart shot does not cause the blood to pour from the animal. i took a doe last year with a heart shot, there was virtually no blood on the ground or coming from the entrance or exit, until i moved her around. sounds more like an artery.

Back