DC firearm registration info released

CGSteve8718

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/lib/mpdc/info/pdf/registering_firearm_dc.pdf

It's in PDF format.

For those of you who can't manage that, here's an excerpt:

"How Do I Register a Firearm in the District?

To register a fiream, residents must report to the Firearms Registration Section of the Metropolitan Police Department, located at 300 Indiana Avenue, NW. The application process may take up to 14 days. The cost for registering each firearm is $13, plus $35 to process fingerprints.

Applicants must:

Be 21 years of age
Complete a firearms application
Bring proof of residency (e.g., D.C. Driver’s License)
Bring two (2) passport-sized front facing photos
Be fingerprinted
Pass a 20-question multiple choice test
Complete a notarized firearms eligibility statement

Important Things to Remember

When transporting your firearm, it must be unloaded, wrapped securely or placed in a gun case on the back seat of your car.

If you are stopped by the police, you must immediately tell the officer that you are en route to the Firearms Registration Section to register the firearm.

The gun dealer will not give you the firearm until you return with the “Firearms Application” stamped “APPROVED” by the Metropolitan Police Department, Firearms Registration Section. If you have possession of the firearm(s), you must IMMEDIATELY bring it to the Firearms Registration Section, located at 300 Indiana Avenue, NW.

ONLY rifles, shotguns and revolvers may be registered in the District of Columbia. The following firearms may not be registered in the District: sawed-off shotguns, short-barreled rifles, machine guns and semiautomatc
handguns.

WHAT TYPES OF FIREARMS CAN I REGISTER?

Shotguns, rifles, and revolvers. However, a shotgun barrel cannot be less than 20 inches in length, and a rifle barrel cannot be less than 16 inches in length and must have a total overall length of 26 inches or more. No weapon can shoot more than one shot by a single function of the trigger, or semi-automatically shoot more than 12 shots without manual reloading or be readily converted or restored to do so."

It doesn't look like the few DC residents who believe in freedom and wish to keep and bear arms are gaining that much after Heller. Hopefully DC will be in court again, and lose again.

Good Gawd... What a pot of crap... So target shooting .22 ruger pistols are still banned? I am surprised pistols and rifles ain't limited to .22lr and shotguns to .410!
Brent

Well, its a start at least. After decades of handgun bans, at least you can now have a revolver. It's going to take a lot more litigation before semi-auto handguns are permitted, it would seem.

I would like nothing better than for Mr. Heller to apply for a permit for a semi-automatic pistol and have it be denied.

D.C. is hoping that their semi-auto ban will stand. By my reading of the SCOTUS decision, it will not.

Unfortunately, cities are free to interpret the ruling however they want and if a lowly citizen disagrees, they will have to take it to the courts for relief. See you in 3-5 years - hope you have a lot of cash.

Back