Dayton Traister Vs. Timney triggers

Danger Dave

Which is better? Why?

The rifle it will be going in is a sporterized M1917 that I've been working on sporadically.

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

I hope these evil men come to understand our peaceful ways soon - My trigger finger is blistering!

Timney. Better quality, easier to install and adjust. You will need the tiny wrenches from Brownells (used to be available from Craftsman too)

1917 Enfield? .30-'06? Cocks on closing the bolt? I'm not sure Timney was around, 50 years ago, but I put a Dayton-Traister on my 1917 so it would cock on opening...

Does the Timney also change it to cock on opening?

The Timney I put on a Ruger bolt-action, a year or so back, is a decent trigger. Not as good as a Canjar, but quite acceptable.

Regards, Art

Art;

I was wondering the same thing, does the Timney change it to cock-on-opening?

But also, could you give some details/description of your experience with the Dayton-Traister? I've been wondering about that also (pull/feel, and reliability).

Any comments would be most appreciated.

weegee

Dave, I wouldn't really say either was better. They both are adjustable and easy to install. The Timney looks more like a custom trigger and is a few dollars more. I just installed Dayton-Traisters on two custom 98 Mausers I am getting ready for a gun show next week end. I've had good luck with the D-Ts and my customers seem to like them. Out of the package they normally break cleanly at 3 lbs. George

Thank you, George! It sometimes gets awkward when I gotta dredge up stuff from all that far back. (From the sewers of my memory; you all know what floats to the top.)
smile.gif

The yet-unanswered question is, Does the Timney convert the Enfield to cock on opening? I just don't know...

Art

Art, if the Timney does they don't advertise the fact and I really don't know. The Dayton-Traister alone won't either but DT markets what they call a speedlock kit that does convert the Enfield to cock-on-open. I think the price is about $15-$20 more. There are two for the Enfield so you want to make sure you order the right one. the EN5 is for the 5 shot and EN6 for the 6 shot. George

Art, etc.:

Neither the Timney or the D-T alone change it to cock-on-opening. D-T offers a kit that includes the trigger, mainspring, and cocking piece. Timney does not offer a kit. I have a cock-on-opening device I got from Gun Parts Corp. a few years ago, but it does not work with the Timney trigger I have now, but I've been told it could be brazed up to work (sounded like more trouble than it's worth).

BTW, the "cock-on-opening" bolt kit doesn't really change it to a true cock-on-opening - more of a half-cock-on-opening, with the final cocking done when the bolt closes.

Back