Daughters First Rifle

Joey

I'm starting early to find a quality .22 rifle for our petite 6 year old daughters X-mas present. Everything I've tried so far has a stock that is just to long plus the rifle's are just to big and heavy. Right now she loves going shooting but we can not find any kind of rifle to fit her.

Does anybody make a 22 rifle for small children to learn on or do I just need to wait untill she gets bigger???

There used to be a diminutive little 22 called the "Chipmunk" that was a good kid sized rifle. Don't know if they still make it. I think Marlin also makes a "youth" size rifle. If I find out for sure I'll re-post.

Mikey

Yes, Marlin does make a youth model. The 25Y. It has a sixteen inch barrel and youth sized stock. It is a single shot. My younger son started with one of these and desite being a big 14 year old now, he still loves it. This thing is a tack driver. I've considered several times to put the action in an adult size stock and converting to magazine feed. I just don't think its cost effecient.
But then, someday grandchildren!

Joey, Isn't 6 a wee young to start your petite daughter off on something she may not like if it doesn't suit her? Please, show her, inform her, answer all of her questions but do not force her.
If you wish, and she does as well, I will carve a stock for her.
Please show her the safety and kind care that you give your firearms, teach her why they are important tools.
Forgive me if I'm way out of step here. I have no children of my own but have seen many a Dad send his child away from the shooting sport by being too aggressive about it.
It happens with football, track, as well.
Best to you and yours,
Hank

HankL,

Trust me you're not out of line asking those questions at all. Here is some background about our little darling!!

She has been around firearms since birth and thinks of them as tools nothing more. She has gone with me/us to the range on more than one ocassion and all she did was to play in the parking lot with other kids. Then again she has come up wanting to shoot a 30/06, 223, 45ACP, 38 spl and several other guns. I've never forced her to shoot just asked her if she really wanted to. Tonight I was cleaning the 308 PSS and as it was past her bed time she started crying as she wanted to stay up and help daddy clean the rifle. I promised her she could help tomorrow night after I went shooting, then she wanted to go shooting and skip school :)

This past weekend we went to the Wyoming Hunting and Fishing expo. She wanted to fire the pellet gun's and draged us to them, again and again we stood in line so I could hold up the pellet rifle while she shot the targets, did a good job by the way :) Then she dragged me over to where they had a simulator set up shooting big game with full size rifles (lasers). She LOVED shooting bison, Bear and Deer.

She has the Eddie Eagle video, doll and other firearms safty things. The one thing she has grown up with is firearms safety and she practices it better than many adults I work with!!

We have been trying out .22 rifles and pellet rifles at the local gun shops and everytime she finds one that sort of fits all we hear out of her is "can I get it" This is the reason we are seriously looking for a youth rifle as she really wants one. I'm not about forcing her into anything as I think she would do better if she wants to and then we guide and teach her. Then she can teach her younger sister :)

Will see if I can find the Marlin 25Y tomorrow or mabey the "chimpmunk" rifle.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!

I would recommend Marlin 15Y or Chipmunk, with one variation. Since these are single shots, get her a few boxes of 22 Short for lower noise, to start with.

The Gunshop around the corner from my office (my lunchtime hangout ;)) has a chipmunk rifle. I didn't notice the price, but I'll check next time I'm in there.

Having an avid 8 year old shooter myself, who I started at age 5, I suggest that the Chipmunk might not be the best choice.

They work OK, but they're not terribly accurate, the triggers work against you and kids quickly get bored with the limitations.

Thompson Center makes a Youth Carbine model that is extremely accurate - good enough for competition if the girl really gets into the sport. You can buy additional barrels in major calibers as she gets older for about $100 each.
Besides, dad can borrow it, stick the pistol grip and a large centerfire barrel on it and go hunting!

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Thanks all, we found a Marlin 15Y and is is a nice rifle for the price. Will be under the tree come Christmas morning!!!!!!!

Back