Daughter's First Hog!

Here is the video - https://youtu.be/bmO-lGNYhn8

After a half dozen times out in the last three years, she finally got her hog. It wasn't easily won either, but she stuck it out during the whole hunt and 6 hours of searching through briars and poison ivy over two days, but it was finally found.

A 200 lb sow was her first. All in all, it turned out to be quite a positive earning experience.

She has asked to go out again. We will work on her better timing her shot.

100_2576.jpg

Good take! Probably 5 times the size of my first sow.

Is that an AR she's using? can't tell with the brass catcher hanging off of it.

Yes, that is an AR15, firing 6.5 Grendel with Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo. The brass catcher is by Tactical Brass Recovery. It works really well and has paid for itself, I think.

Congratulations......I'm glad to see someone is having some success. The hogs in my area just seem to have disappeared. I have searched virtually thousands of game camera pictures over the past month or two and have seen a pic of one boar. He walked past the camera and didn't even bother to stop at the feeder for a snack!
Sounds like she really had to earn it...

Awesome!!! I've enjoyed your posts over the years. Hunting is best when shared with family.

Great hog, and it's good to have a future TFL'er coming up

That's awesome! Congratulations young lady!

I am a little unclear, was the 6 hours of searching to find a hog to shoot, or to find the dead hog?

I am a little unclear, was the 6 hours of searching to find a hog to shoot, or to find the dead hog?

We were only in the stand a couple of hours before the hog showed up and got shot. We spent the next three hours following the blood trail through "thickety stuff" (as called by the landowner) that was oaks, cedars, briar tangles, poison ivy, and downed trees. Basically, it was mostly bent over or crawling with loppers to get through the stuff. We did that until we reached a point where the trail appeared to go in multiple directions and stop in multiple directions.

We came back the next day and followed the entire blood trail again from the start to where we lost it and searched the area trying to pick up where the hog went. My buddy showed up and we took him through the now cleared blood trail highway through the woods to the stopping point and about 30 minutes later, he spotted what we had missed and that got us going in the right direction. The trail was more intermittent at this point and we basically leapfrogged each other, fanning out from last known spots to find the next spot until we found the hog.

Back