Dating a Flobert Rifle

mktacop

Inactive
I have an old rifle I believe to be a Flobert 6mm (after much research) that I got when my grandfather passed. The rifle has NO markings other than 148 stamped on the barrel and a tiny crown over AS (the S is so faint it can barely be made out), also stamped on the barrel. The barrel is 23.75 inches from breech to muzzle and is octagonal. Any information anyone could give would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 245
That is a Warnant System Flobert, the last and least weak of the Flobert series of cheap guns. (I won't say "strongest" about any of those little guns.) They sold for $3.00 in the 1897 Sears & Roebuck catalog and were still in the 1911 Alfa catalog. So I would say yours was made sometime between 1890 and WW I. A Remington No 4 true Rolling Block was $5.00 at the time, starting to get into real money and a Winchester Low Wall .22 was $10.13 which was seriously expensive.

Most of these were made in Belgium but I do not see (crown) AS in the chart of Belgian proof marks, and you do not mention the ELG or perron found on most Belgian guns. Not German, either, that I can find.

Grandpa's gun has been reblued and the stock refinished with a lot of buffing and sanding. Maybe the rest of the markings were polished away.

No ELG or any other marks on the visible part of the barrel. There might be some markings on the under side of the barrel, but I've honestly been scared to try and take the gun apart to see. I'm afraid that something might break if I did, or that I couldn't get things to go back together properly. It is such a pretty little gun, I'd hate to damage it.

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!

I found what i think is a flobert

i have been to several sites trying to confirm it. this one has double triggers (set triggers maybe)a sling mount and some pretty nice engraving on the trigger guard 102_0651.jpgif anyone can tell me what it is i would sure like to here from ya

See post no 2.
You also have a Warnant System Flobert except yours was a bit fancier to start with but is now pretty beat up.

Back