Date of manu and advice Savage Fox S/S

carebear

I have a friend who inherited great-grandpas S/S. Looks like a shooter has some honest wear and such but my area of pseudo-expertise is more modern handguns and rifles.

She'd like to know the date of manufacture, approx worth / collectability (figure NRA fair-to-middlin') and if it would thus be a crime to touch up / reblue it and straighten out a slight bend/dent in the end of one of the barrels (this is long distance so I can't answer that one on a functional level)

It's a 12 ga. Savage Fox Silver-something something, ser. # 3726XX.

Thank you for your time. I guess it's time to pick up a new Blue Book to replace my missing one.

Carebear:
I don't have the specifics of your request regarding the serial no's. on savage guns. I have however sent the information by separate email, on Fox & Savage. (Savage bought out Fox, I think round/bout 1930.) and continued makeing their guns until round/bout 1942 where they mfg'd only the plain jaone models. I'm in the same shape your are regarding the value. However, the Savage guns probably have a lesser value than the Fox guns. Still good guns though.

Regarding the rebluing that can get expensive, especially double guns. during the heat process the barrels separate and have to be relined. It can be done and I have had it done, but the price of the blueing may over-ride the value of the gun by a consierable amount. Having that done will depend upon the owner and his/her sentimenatl value will prevail.

Before trying to shoot the gun, have a rep. gunsmith check it out first.

Harley

Thanks for all the info! She's not a shooter so it looks like it'll go over the mantle in any case. If I get down there I'll take a look at the "dent" and maybe run it by a 'smith.

That "silver-something" was my brains version of Sterlingworth so it sounds like a higher end of the Savage versions at least, if the marque transferred over from Fox as well.

I didn't realize doubles were just soldered, never really thought about it I guess. Guess it'll be a family heirloom. Unless I really like it and go all unethical and all. :D

Back