Dashes "-2 -3 etc." on SW's

Blue Duck357

Can anyone point me to a site or information to explain the dates of manufacture or changes in production to the various models of Smith and Wessons by the -# after the model number.

Thanks, Blueduck

Numerich....Gun Parts Corporation catalog has a pretty good break down on most of the engineering change (dash #s) dates and what the differences are. They occur mostly at different times on different models.

If you have a question about a specific one, give model and dash number and one of us will jump on it.

Sam

Jim Supica & Rick Nahaus' book "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" is by far the best source on this.

A new edition is coming out.

I just posted the information for the Model 10s in a message originated by Oleg.

Model 10 Engineering changes

View

.........SmithNut

SmithNut, where did you get that info? I'd like to find out more on other models that I have. Can you steer me in the right direction?:)

The information you are looking for...

4thHorseman
This information was compiled from many sources, S&W directly, The History of S&W by Roy Jinks, and crossed to the Standard Catalog. S&W used to provide Stocking Dealers with a list, but that was back in 1992/93, and there was only one "update" in the late 94/early 95 timeframe.
The document that I posted is one that I put together for a display of the M&P a couple years back to document the different variations (this is the Model numbered document, there is another for the 1899 to 1957 timeframe). If you email me offline, I will see if I can help with the other models you are looking for.
SmithNut@hotmail.com
It's been hard getting this kind of info from the factory for the past 3-4 years, but most of it can be cronicled. Unfortunately, the Standard Catalog, which is the best single reference book currently available, is behind and cannot be relied on for a complete up to date picture. As soon as the next version is out, I'm sure it will include the latest info.
........SmithNut

smithNut

What can you tell me about a S&W Model 6009[ON THE BOX], MOD 60-9 [ON THE CRANE] Chiefs Special 9, Sn CEU24XX

Back