Dardick Model 1500 magazine-fed revolver

Big-Blue

I ran across this video review of a 1959 Dardick 1500. I hadn't heard of this gun before, but found the video fascinating. I hope everyone on the forum will enjoy seeing how one out-of-the-box thinker approached handgun design back in the '50s.

Needless to say, David Dardick was certainly no John Moses Browning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKE2YwtcTXE

Thanks to LifeSizePotato for pursuing the purchase and for reporting on the result.

Dardick tround revolver. Nice.

The revolver wasn't much of a success, but Dardick made himself a fortune with a similar tround concept for use in oil field recovery.

Cool vid

I remember hearing about this a long time ago. Never saw one and would have to give the opinion that the Dardick actually makes the Japanese type 94 pistol look like a beauty pageant winner.

This resurrects memories in my 84 year old mind. I do remember the triangular cartridges, but that is about all. My suspicion is that it was too radical an idea for conservative minds. One wishes that ideas like this one would not fade away.

willr

It was in part based on a falsehood. The "tround" idea was heavily promoted and one major claim was that it took up less magazine space for a given caliber because the corners of the "tround" fit into the "empty spaces" in a magazine left by cylindrical cartridges. A few minutes consideration showed that to be untrue since the magazine space for a given number of rounds was the same whether the gaps were filled or not. In fact Dardick "trounds" had thick cases and so fewer could fit into a given space than conventional cartridges.

While the Dardick seemed to combine the best of the revolver and a large capacity autopistol, in fact it had few advantages over the former and none over the latter. The magazine was built in, and had to be loaded with individual rounds, a lot like the Johnson M1941 rifle. Dardick planned for a stripper clip, but I never saw one. In some respects, rather than having the best of both worlds, it had the worst. The complexity and timing problems of a revolver, and greater bulk and weight than the pistols of the day.

It also suffered from the "chicken and egg" problem in the gun industry. Until there was an assured ammo supply, no one would buy the gun, but no ammo maker would tool up to make the ammo until enough guns were sold to assure a market. Some "trounds" would accept conventional cartridges, like .38 Special, but that meant even greater bulk and reduced magazine capacity.

The gun and its inventor were widely praised for being innovative, and that is true. But being innovative is not enough, the product must also offer some significant and real improvement over what is on the market. The Dardick did not do that.

Jim

Back