DAO pistol shooters, need your input

ammo first

Looking for a smooth not overly heavy or long trigger pull in dao, I prefer full size 9mm handguns. (better feel,sight radius, little more velocity, 15 rounds etc..) May wan't to deploy a dao 9mm at some point. My guns of choice would be CZ, Ruger, Beretta, however other guns (providing they accept standard capacity "read 15 round" clips) will be considered. thanks for the input P.S. no glocks.

Glocks are Single Action. The Striker is pre-set and the last bit of travel is accomplished by the trigger. It is not a DAO or DA/SA in any way.

DAO is a good idea if you trained to use revolvers. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage. I carry all of my DA/SA guns with the hammer down, safety off on a loaded chamber. The first shot is consistant and that's all I care about. I practice with DA at the range for about 50% of the shots and empty a few magazines in drills at the end of the session.

I carry a Ruger P-94 Decocker, a Smith 4516 DA/SA, and an Airweight Centenial on different occasions. The Ruger Double Action pull is great as is the centenial. The Smith is a bit weird, but I've gotten used to it. Can't speak to the CZ, but I did own a single Beretta 96D at one time that was butter-smooth. Hated it for other reasons, but couldn't fault the trigger.

My first choice given your criteria would be the P-95 DAO. High-Caps are still available and it's got a really decent trigger. Stay away from Smiths unless you want a bargain with a used Police DAO. There are lots of them out there... 5943 I think is one model I've spotted recently.

They DAO S&W are supposed to be quite nice, better than the DA trigger on their DA/SAs, and there are lots of used police DAOs that seem to be popping up at decent prices. In a smaller gun, I like the Kahr K9.

M1911

I own a 92D. Nice glassy trigger. Easy shooter. Never had a jam or any other bobble. As with all 92 double stacks its got a huge grip but I suppose that contributes to the negligble recoil feel. NIB with night sights for under 500 out the door, great deal! You might also check out their Cougar line.

If you can stand their rather homely(IMO) looks, the *&*s will have one of the best. The pull is shorter, like in a Kahr, but they do not have a second-strike capability. This makes dry-fire a chore. Next up would be the Beretta, which does have an excellent trigger, and allows for repeated dry-fire. I had a P97 Ruger in DAO, which I felt had a good trigger, though not as nice as the Beretta. In P95 9mm, I'm not sure if they've set it up for repeat strike or not. The one I am curious about would be the CZ. The DA pull on the normal 75 is much better than ANY other modern pistol that I know of. IF this translates over to their DAO 75, then it might just be the one to get. If you are able to find one to try, please let me know.

DAO Handguns

Guess what, I reccomend the Ruger Kp95DAO. It is my primary carry piece. It is very ergononmic. It does require some skateboard tape on the front and back, no big deal. I have recently gone to a Kp95DC for IDPA because of the reduced shot to shot times. I got tired of my son beating me with his KP95DC. The 15 rd mags are still available and I suggest the PLASTIC BASE Pro Mags if you can get them. I got 4 recently for $25.00 each.

My duty weapon is a "police trade-in" Smith 5906 in SA/DA that had been factory refurbished. I purchased it from AIM for $299.95 with one 15 & one 10 rounder. CDNN has used/excellent factory mags for $39.95 ea.
I believe this to be one of the best buys on the market right now.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

How about a Sig P226? Sig will convert them to DAO for around $50.You can have them do a trigger job while they have it for around $60.

Back