Danger, danger, Will Robinson!

JWR

Okay- those of you with Taurus revolvers may or may not be impressed with the detent in the front of the barrel lug that holds the ejector rod, I assume for extra strength in keeping the cylinder where it's supposed to be. The little knurrled (sp?) tip of the rod on my 445 unscrewed itself enough during a 100 rd range session that the cylinder would not release. I'm probably not going to have to do 20+ ejections in the course of a self/family defense situation, but am I paranoid to be worried about this now? Right now I'm thinking of JB Welding the little bastard in place, or using a Dremel to remove the detent. Any advice before I delve into field surgery would be appreciated!

Happens even to S&*'s

Open the cylinder, unscrew the rod, coat the threads with blue Loctite, rescrew the rod hand tight. Place at least 3 fired cases in the cylinders, wrap the knurled part with a small piece of leather, push the ejector out slightly so the pressure is on the fired cases and tighten with a pair of pliers gripped on the piece of leather while holding the cylinder in your other hand. Don't overdo it. It shouldn't take much to cinch it tight if it's like a Smith. Maybe 1/8 of a turn past hand tight.

I concur with RAE. Put aside that JB Weld and hand tighten it in a vise. Be sure to insert three spent cases to keep the extractor from shearing off any of the pins. Properly snugged down, it shouldn't back out and you should have to use Locktite.

Thanks for the info, folks. The dremel was a last resort.

As soon as Ruger brings out a few big bore snubs (maybe 3" 5-shot models based on the GP100 frame) I'll be thrilled.

Back