Dang, the guy can shoot...

603Country

Had company this weekend and talk turned to hunting. The guy and his wife both are hunters and love to shoot. Well, heck, we'll just drag out a couple of rifles and shoot em. I hung some new targets on the 100 yard range out back of the barn. The wife shot first and did pretty well. I knew the 223 was on, since I had just checked the sights a day or two ago. The guy then sat down and ran 3 rounds into the same hole. Geez...I haven't been doing that with that same gun. Hmmm. So then I got the new 260 (Tikka with #4 Brux barrel) and he ran 3 into...yup...the same hole. Geez...again...I haven't been doing that with that same gun. He pronounced both rifles good shooters and then wanted some more coffee. Outshot me with my own rifles. Dang...I maintained a calm exterior through it all.:)

Similar experience happened to me a short while back. A friend of mine bought a new savage axis in 243, bought some factory ammo and off we went to bench rest it. He cleaned and shot, etc and couldnt get under a 2" group. He stated, they guarantee a 1" right out of the box. I said, hey, let me give it a try. Not liking the trigger pull I gave it a go, went up and checked the target, 3/4" group..I turned and said..well Dan, "its not the gun"...He has since done much better with practice...

Many many years ago (like 20+) I bought my first new handgun, a glock 17. At the range, I has making 4-5 inch groups at 25 feet, and I told my shooting buddy (while trying to sound authoritative) that "Glocks are combat accurate, not really target pistols."..... well, the guy who ran the gun range was shooting in the next lane, and he was a NRA pistol instructor and a coach of the pistol team. He asked to see the glock, and then put 10 quick rounds into a 2 inch hole, and the center was completely eaten out so I know most of the rounds went right into the center. He then said "It is not as accurate as my gold cup, but it is better than I was expecting for a plastic gun with fixed sights"... It was on that day I realized I needed more practice.

It doesnt bother me. Especially if I am helping them learn. If they surpass me I feel like well at least I did that right? ;)

Sure losing to a shooting buddy kinda hurts but It's never bothered me much. (cuz I don't lose! :D)

A friend brought his .243 to my place to sight in from my benchrest. After he was all happy with it, he asked my then-ten-year-old son if he wanted to try it.

Now what kid's gonna pass up a chance like that?

Guess who had the tighter groups? :D

My wife did that to me when I was teaching her to shoot a handgun, a GP 100 to be exact. After a few practice rounds she proceeded to shoot a group that I had never come close to, and said "Was that good", of course being the good husband I said, not bad. She now knows she can outshoot me with a pistol.:rolleyes:

If I can shoot a 3/8" group and some else can shoot a 1/4" or less, my response will be, "Boy, can I tune a rifle or what?"

[/QUOTE]My wife did that to me when I was teaching her to shoot a handgun, a GP 100 to be exact. After a few practice rounds she proceeded to shoot a group that I had never come close to, and said "Was that good", of course being the good husband I said, not bad. She now knows she can outshoot me with a pistol.
My wife did the same the first time she shot a handgun. After the initial surprise of recoil she settled down. I was in the next booth and hear her firing a Colt .22 pistol. Reload, and settle into a very rhythmic shooting pattern. After 4 cycles of this I look and ask what she was doing. "cutting the black part out of the target". She had gone about a third of the way around on the edge of the black.
The first time she shot my shotgun she hit her first three hand thrown clays going left and the next 2 going right. She didn't like the recoil though and called it quits.
We wont even go into rifles. I love it though that she can shoot. She's just one of those naturals.

I like this story. I see it unfold every time I go to the range as I use public ranges. There is always someone complaining about a "bad scope" or saying their gun "does not like this ammo." Then they offer their buddy to shoot it and he drops 5 into a quarter.

I learned to never compete with my regular shooting buddy when he has a shotgun in his hand. Does not matter if it is his gun, my gun, or a left-handed youth gun with a bent barrel, he will out shoot me (I am not very good with a shotgun and he is pretty darn good). He has learned to never compete with me if I have a rifle in my hand (he is average and I am well above average, at least compared to other people I have shot with at the limited range we have, out to 300).

We all have our different strengths and weaknesses, the wisdom comes in realizing them and them trying to work on them. As 1srmar said:

Look at the positives... You got a couple of good shooting rifles and known good shooting loads

Heck, I'm pretty good with a rifle and have a few awards to show it, but if I dragged both of those rifles to the bench, I have to admit that I wouldn't expect to shoot groups like the guy did with an unfamiliar rifle. He did it with one rifle, then with the other.

Both rifles shoot really well with the hand loads I use, so he wasn't working miracles. But he still did impress me. Hmmm...I might have to get those two rifles out this afternoon and see if I can do that well.

Back