Dang it

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
This weekend has been a major bummer.
I was looking forward to this weekend. So was a couple from my work. Shaun is a good fellow, and is also now the proud owner of my HK USP. Shaun is also a Lurker here. Our plan was to hit the show - then go shooting. I was planning on training my USP to handle it's new owner.
Here is what went down:

1. The Gun Show was WEAK. Fewer guns than I have ever seen - save the the Gun Shows right across from King's Dominion in Virginia. Instead of Guns and stuff, there was:
2 booths for Chiropractors.
2 for "Cabin Candles" (WTF?)
5 for CHILLI and BEEF JERKY
1 of the best tables in the show, was EMPTY.

My Leather guy who I can get great custom leather pieces from was not there - along with a couple other good outfits I was looking forward to visit.
I couldnt find any decent custom holster or production rigs for sale. No Galco, No Dillon, no anything. There was only ONE maker of Kydex rigs - but his stuff was out of thin and cheapish looking kydex and it was all sized for compact guns. There was one leather guy there - High Desert Leather. HDL makes mostly western style rigs. But God Bless him, he did have one good old fashion belt slide. I went ahead and snagged it as it was the only one at the whole show.
Oh - yeah there was the ugly-ass Bag Master nylon crap I would only put a Lorcin in (and then toss both into a large body of water).
I still didnt find a IWB rig for my GM... I may have to ORDER ONE because Utah Dealers only seem to stock UNCLE MIKES junk.
I picked up some White Pearl grips for my Springfield, and a box of rounds as well. The HDL guy did promised to come to my funeral when my wife kills me for spending too much money. That was nice. You dont get that kinda customer service anymore these days. Luckily that was not need. I got home with the new grips on the gun and my Beloved only glanced at me and said "Where are all your 'working girls'? You look like a Pimp."
OUCH!

2. Tried to go shooting but after the Gun Show (7 bucks to get into) but it got dark by the time we reached my van. Okay - lets make for the indoor range I got passes to. Stopping to snag a bite to eat - I check my wallet. Range Passes Gone! My wife had snagged then and used them up on thursday... Okay - no big deal - Lets go the next day... Finally after a LONG Indian summer here, IT FINALLY SNOWS!. The range I go to was basically closed as the snow plows have yet to clear it. And the indoor ranges are closed on sunday... NO JOY.

Sometimes you just cant win.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey, have I mentioned my new book? It is called:
MEN ARE FROM MARS and WOMEN JUST NEED TO DEAL WITH IT!

Christmas time is comin'.... And you know there's nothing more popular among "sportmen" during the holidays than Cabin Candles. I for one am fed up with ALL gun shows, with nothing but rip-offs and cheap junk, with an enormous admission price. It's absolutely ridiculous - the ONLY reason I can see to pay to get ripped off like that is to buy a gun with no paperwork - but that's not happening even at gun shows, contrary to what the antis would have you believe - if someone does have a "private collection" for sale, it's usually just a few ancient guns; never what I'm looking for - and with everyone else you fill out a 447whateverthenumberis, and pay $100-150 more than you would at full retail.

Dennis, I will let you know when I see one.
I will by the way be going to Park City in just a few minutes...
I have a ski pass and I got some skiis and a new board I am going to test out...

HEHEHE :D

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Its funny the way gun shows are...
When I bought my Ruger 22/45 bull barrel at a gun show it was the ONLY one in the whole show! The last gun show that I was at, I lost count of the number of Ruger 22/45s I saw; there were at least a dozen. There were also a ton of Taurus and Ruger firearms but I didn't see ANY H&K weapons.

------------------
Stand against evil, lest evil have its way...

Ours was the same way this weekend... lots of bird houses, dog T-shirts, jewlrey and machinest tools. But I only saw 1 Remington 1100. And only 2 870s. I grabbed the last 4lbs of 231 in the place. The only real buy I found was for that new Boker Orion titanium folder.

bo2065.jpg

Lets hope the trinket tables don't over run the December show... But what am I thinkin? Too close to Christmas.. The place will be crawling with do-dad tables. :(

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited November 22, 1999).]

Bubba:

Exercise caution in showing that gorgeous thing to poor college students; temptation is a wicked, expensive thing.

Must keep mind pure! God, that knife is beautiful!

George-- Yeah, the Dallas gunshow, which is a monster, has a rule of no more than 50% of your tables may be non-gun or knife-related, if I recall correctly. Still and all, they seem to come up with "exceptions." Jewelry! Hmph! Watches! Hmph! Paperback science-fiction books! [hey! Is that a good edition of Starship Troopers? Lemme see that...] er... Hmph!

And if I see one more mannequin with a camouflage bikini on it...!

Say, George, you ought to combine your two sports, and try snow-boarding while shooting. Your ski-run would be the one with perforated cardboard sillohuettes on the pylons and empty cases from your USP in the snow...

Brrr... sure has gotten chilly! Weather.com says the temperature has just dropped down to 50, here in Dallas! Might get down to 42 before the night is through! Almost need a sweater... :D What's that temperature in Salt lake? 20 degrees, huh? Looks like you may beat your projected low of 18...

Bundle up. :D

[This message has been edited by Long Path (edited November 24, 1999).]

Long Path,
Been in the 70s here near San Antonio. All the young ladies jogging by the house wearing shorts and T-shirts.

((My, my. Gee. I sure do miss the snow plows! NOT!! :D ))

LP - It would be like a bad James Bond scene:
Scene - quite snow covered slope...
enter skier coming from top of the screen in a speed tuck firing a short barreled AK fully auto destroying the flags as he passes... huge snarley muzzel flash igniting small furry animals and the liberals who are hugging them...

------------------

Back