Dan Wesson light strikes

Daniel

Hi,

Recently, I picked up a used 4-inch Dan Wesson .357 Mag (model 15 I think).
About two weeks ago, I fired a box of 50 FMJ Winchester (unsure 'bout bullet weight), SA/DA, no problem.
Today, I fired 50 rounds of .357 Mag (club reloads) and 50 rounds of .38 (reloads again).
About 50 percent of the time, firing double-action, the firing pin would leave a very shallow (well centered btw)
indentation on the primers, requiring a second or third double-action pull to ignite them.
This never happened in single-action, the clubs Ruger GP-100 fired them all without trouble.

The double-action pull is on the light side, could that have anything to do with the light strikes?

I am VERY new to revolvers, so anything I can do? Or just take it to a smith?

Dan,

Sounds like a previous owner may have botched a trigger job on your Dan Wesson?

Mine is 25 years old, and still functions perfectly, as well as being very accurate.

I would get it to a good gunsmith for inspection. Dan Wesson still does repair work on the old models, and parts are available.

Dan Wesson

Bill

I think Bill pretty much hit it. Because Dan's have a very short hammer throw, particularly in DA, the firing pin is not hitting the primer with enough force. As you've stated its less of a problem when firing SA. Winchester primers are soft so that's probably why there was no problem with that ammo. I use Winchester primers in all my reloads for that reason.
Does the hammer slip off the sear if you push forward on it while the revolver is cocked? (Be sure the gun is unloaded before trying). This is one of the fastest ways to detect a poor trigger job. If it does fall during the test take it to a gunsmith or send it to Dan Wesson directly.
Another quick check, (again with the revolver empty), is to dry fire and hold the trigger all the way back. With the free hand check the cylinder for play. A little rotation play is acceptable, clearance of hand in the locking notch, but there should be no front to back play. If there is, a trip to the smith is warranted.
Take Care

Swamp Yankee,

No, the hammer does not fall with pressure on it.

Yes, there is a little bit of front and back play.

I would send it to Dan Wesson, but since I live in Aus, turn around time might be a bit long. I will have my local smith check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that the previous owner probably botched up the trigger job.

I bought one like that. Sent it to the factory to fix and they did a great job on it. They put in a new trigger and must have polished it or something because it came back smooth as glass and very light, yet worked to perfection.

One indication of a bad trigger is to slowly pull back in double action and then release a bit on the trigger as you pull back. See if you can get the hammer to fall early. If so, then you also have a safety issue.

Anyway, I suggest you just swallow the time and money and send it to the factory (maybe a month and maybe $100). At least you know they can fix it.

Failure to fully seat primers (of any manufacture) will cause the problems that you outline. It may be that the club SP101 has a very heavy hammer fall that both seats and ignites primers that are not fully seated. The primer issue is one that can affect any reloaded ammunition.

Back