Dan Wesson Customer Service Is Fantastic

Radny97

So I was tinkering with my brand new Dan Wesson 715 revolver and I ended up stripping a side plate screw and cross threading the grip screw. (Rookie mistake and completely my fault--it was late and I was tired.) I called up Dan Wesson Customer Service the next morning and after a few minutes I got their head gunsmith on the phone. (Bob Collins, a really nice guy.) I explained my bonehead mistake and asked for a quote to have it fixed. He said they would cover it under warranty and emailed me an overnight FedEx shipping label.
When I mailed it I included a letter offering to pay for a trigger smooth and polish job because I felt bad they were doing it all for free. When I got the gun back it was perfect and they had done the trigger smooth and polish job for free! Total turn around time was 8 days including shipping. And it was being shipped from the intermountain west to upstate New York and back so I thought that was super fast. I can't be happier and I will definitely be purchasing more Dan Wesson firearms.

That's good to hear.
Have you shot it yet? I'm considering getting one but haven't heard much from owners of the new guns.

Since its an early Christmas present I decided not to shoot it till after Christmas. I'm planning on doing a full review on here and comparison with my GP100 six inch in a few weeks after I shoot it a bunch.
I can say the balance is better and the trigger pull is excellent. Much shorter, lighter and straight back. Ruger GP100 triggers tend to have a softness in the middle of the DA pull that can be hard to handle. (The issue is even more noticable in Redhawks). You have to put a higher level of pressure to get the pull started and then as it lightens through the pull it can be easy to exert a little too much pressure pulling your sight picture off (similar to milking) and making the end of the gun waggle. It also feels like the trigger is rotating more closely around an axis rather than straight back. The Dan Wesson pull is consistent pressure throughout and more straight back. S&W often has better consistent pull throughout, but still not as good as DW and still has the axis issue. Also both Ruger and S&W pulls are a lot longer of travel in DA. The DW is so short you wonder how it manages to fully raise the hammer so quickly.
We'll see if my opinion changes but those are my initial impressions.
To be fair to all, Ruger S&W and Dan Wesson all have very fine triggers compared to more lower end manufacturers. We're talking top tier production DA revolvers here.

Last edited:
Their service is indeed great. A few years ago I bought a used Dan Wesson CBOB - like new. Had feed problems with it and called DW. Their warranty very clearly states it covers only the initial owner, yet they sent me prepaid return label and corrected the problem at no cost. Very responsive and easy to deal with. One of the main reasons I continue to accumulate DWs.

Thanks for the report.
Good to know.
I've been lucky so far as to not have to experience anyone's service department.
I've been able to fix things myself with two gunsmith friends as backup.
It's good to have friends who are gunsmiths.

Back