Dan Wesson .357 Super Magnum

law_school

Inactive
I have a chance to buy a lnib Wesson .357 super magnum that comes with three barrels. I cant find any information on this round or if the gun will fire standard .357's or 38 specials....Also how is the Wesson quality? THe gun is 450$ is that a good deal?

Ben

I'm pretty sure that the Super Mag is Dan Wesson's name for the Maximum. As I recall, the difference between the Maximum and the Rem Mag was a case length difference (.330") that was the same difference as between the Rem Mag and the .38 Special. If that's true, then a .38 Spec would have over a half inch "jump" (.660") to the barrel. That's a long way to go. It could make for some pretty dramatic cylinder gap fireworks, since the gases will be scooting right on by the bullet for that distance.:) Path of least resistance, you know.

'Sounds like a decent price, but I don't have any experience with Dan Wesson ... other than to drool at the mere mention.:D

Law_school,

The good news is yes! You can fire 38 Special, 357 Magnum, and 357 Super Magnum, in the same revolver!

Try the Dan Wesson web site for more info.

http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/

One word of caution. Always use the longest cases your revolver will chamber, because the shorter cases soot up the exposed front of the chambers, and make chambering longer rounds difficult, if not impossible, after a few rounds.

That's a really good price on that revolver with extra barrels! Buy it now!

I've owned a Dan Wesson 357, 6 inch heavy barrel, for twenty five years, and it's a terrific handgun! It's as accurate and reliable as anything I've ever owned, or shot, and I'm seriously considering another, now that they have switched to numerical controlled machining.

Dan Wesson went through several hands over the years, but the design is excellent, and the current NC machining should insure good tolerances.

Bill

'Just got this response from DW in email:

We have introduced the first Large Frame Series .357 caliber revolver, the models 360 and 7360, which fire the .38 Special, .357 Magnum and the new 360 DW (Starline 360 DW brass which has a 1.4" trim length) which allows proper seating of heavier, and therefore longer bullets with enough powder capacity to deliver close to SuperMag (.357 Remington Maximum/SuperMag 1.6" trim length) performance at pressures and felt recoil in the Magnum range!

Thanks for your interest in Dan Wesson Firearms and our products.

Regards,
Bill Jeffery
Marketing and Customer Service Director

“To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace. A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined.”-- George Washington, First Annual Address, January 8, 1790.

Back