Dan Wessn 715 vs S&W 686 or 627

I own all three. A new production DW715 will have the tightest tolerances and fit and finish. The DA trigger however will be heavier than the other two. The single action will be on par with the other two. An old production 715 won’t be as nice.
The 686 is your classic six shooter. But the 627 is the better gun, better trigger and 8 shots. If you’re shooting lots of DA, I’d go for the 627. The DW715 will be more mechanically accurate. If you’re hunting I’d go with the 715. Same if you’re looking for a beautiful collector piece.
If you’re looking to compete, 627 all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only caveat about competing in IDPA is a 6 round limit.

The 627 has an excellent trigger. I have had the 5”, 4” and the S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum . It is heavier and wider of the three.

The 686+ does give you the option of one more round.

I also have a S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 Shot 357 Magnum 3”. It has a ported barrel, whereas the others do not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have an older, one of the first made actually,715's, a 686-1, and 3 28's, and have shot a 627 quite a bit. The 715 is the most accurate, by a small margin, of them all, but at 30-50 feet, it's meaningless. The 6" 28-2 has the best DA trigger of all of them, followed by the other 4" 28-2's and then the 686-1, the DW 715 isn't bad at all, it's just a little heavier and different feeling. I shoot it the best of all of them. In SA, the 715 and the 6" 28-2 are pretty close with the DW having the edge due to the shorter hammer travel, but it's not a big deal, to me anyway.

IMHO, the accuracy difference at any reasonable distance isn't enough to worry about, but I prefer the DW method of opening the cylinder, by far over the S&W guns. My first good gun was a DW 15-2, and I wasn't used to the S&W method at that point so I wasn't prejudiced against it as so many people are.

With CZ done with the DW 715, I've heard that this revolver is for some reason harder to find someone to correctly work on.

Is that true?

With CZ done with the DW 715, I've heard that this revolver is for some reason harder to find someone to correctly work on.

Is that true?

No. CZ will still service them and do action jobs on them. They have tooling, parts and barrels on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That little clip thing was the first part I ever lost working on my first DW 15-2. It was on a Sunday night, and I looked and looked and couldn't find it. I finally got a magnet at the hardware store and put it on the end of a piece of string and tossed it randomly and after about 15 minutes, there it was. After that, I always have a spare one in my parts drawer. At this point, I have several.

Back