Damn you, UPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
Just venting. I'm STILL waiting for my first pistol, since UPS changed its mind when my new Ruger MkI .22 was about 4 hours away, here in IL, and decided to ship it to Port Huron MICHIGAN. I am NOT happy.
I am also not too sure about the guy who sold it to me, since he offered to pay shipping but then chose to ship to my FFL by UPS ground service. If UPS detects this, I won't get my gun, which will well and truly piss me off.
Anyway, now it's back to the same hub in IL as it was Friday, so I'm hoping it gets here on Monday. I'm done whining now, thanks for listening. The rest of y'all can just use this as your little place to vilify UPS for stupid things they've done, such as when dad had his gunshop and they'd leave guns on our front porch with no signature. . . .
:(

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I am also disappointed on the new UPS policy. But before we dammed the UPS too quickly, let's not forget the USPS, FEDEX and other couriers won't even ship handguns for us. Shouldn't we dammed them first?

Greetings To All, I recently made a handgun
purchase from a dealer in southern Illinois;
UPS would not take the weapon for ground
shipment; however the dealer delivered
the weapon to the terminal and UPS delivered
it to the receiving FFL dealer by overnight
air, for a fee of $25.50.

------------------
Ala Dan

FEDEX said they will ship guns overnight didn't they?

Also, when I was a class 3 dealer for a while I had UPS leave THREE Uzis on my doorstep unattended.

------------------

Yes, other carriers have made the same move as UPS. Actually, although it PO's me no end, I didn't mean for this thread to be about that stupid CYA maneuver. I meant it to be about the fact that they sent my gun to the wrong state and will not offer any kind of restitution once it gets where it belongs. Also, I checked today and the gun arrived back in Illinois on Saturday morning at 5:00 AM and hasn't been moved since, just scanned several times. I know they don't ship on Sunday but what about Saturday and Monday? Bottom line is, I'm not trying to be whiny. I understand that people make mistakes, it's just that most people try to make the mistake good. I was going to email the seller (who paid shipping, if we'd used my money we'd have tried to find a less stinky company) and tell him to raise holy Hell, tell them I chewed his butt and demand a rebate of some sort, but now that I know he shipped a handgun ground, kinda seems like that wouldn't be wise, just in case.

Leaving guns on front porches is nothing new to UPS. My dad's gunshop was a building behind our house, and he'd often come home to find several guns in boxes sitting on the front porch with the screen door partially closed on them. In our neighborhood, it was a miracle they didn't disappear.

Finally, the seller. What was he thinking, shipping a handgun UPS ground? Well, I've noticed that UPS's website holds no reference to the new policy, so I'm wondering if there was some kind of mass notice to dealers or maybe the drivers are notifying people--if they didn't notify him, screw 'em. Not his problem or mine.

Egads, you don't think they've discovered my dirty little handgun secret, do you? Maybe that's why the multiple scans in one place and no movement since Saturday? I wonder if they can even withhold my gun for this, seeing as how I didn't know how it was shipped, or if they just up the rate to Next Day Air. If so, I'll pay the difference to be done with it.
Enough ranting for now. I grow weary of UPS.

------------------
Don

Hey, guys, you DO know that you can still ship USPS from FFL to FFL, don't you?

------------------
For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Now I'm really getting angry. Now, for some unfathomable reason, they've shipped the damn thing to NEW HAMPSHIRE! I don't know yet if it was intentional because it's in transit, but I am NOT happy. They've also moved delivery date back to Nov. 4, a full five of their working days late. The package has been in this state, a few hours away, TWICE and both times it has been shipped to a distant state. THIS is the kind of thing I was complaining about earlier, not that handgun policy. I'm not even sure if that's in universal effect but I'm afraid to ask UPS until I have mine in my hands . . . . take a look:

Nov 1, 1999
11:09 P.M. NASHUA, NH, US IN TRANSIT TO
11:08 P.M. CACH, IL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:50 A.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
4:06 A.M. CACH, IL, US LOCATION SCAN
4:06 A.M. CACH, IL, US UNLOAD SCAN

Oct 30, 1999
5:17 A.M. CACH, IL, US ARRIVAL SCAN
12:46 A.M. TOLEDO HUB, OH, US DEPARTURE SCAN

Oct 29, 1999
11:01 P.M. TOLEDO HUB, OH, US ARRIVAL SCAN
8:25 P.M. PORT HURON, MI, US DEPARTURE SCAN
5:33 P.M. PORT HURON, MI, US ORIGIN SCAN
8:09 A.M. PORT HURON, MI, US ROUTED INCORRECTLY AT UPS FACILITY;PKG HAS BEEN REROUTED TO DESTINATION
8:09 A.M. PORT HURON, MI, US LOCATION SCAN

Oct 28, 1999
4:41 A.M. CACH, IL, US UNLOAD SCAN
2:36 A.M. CACH, IL, US ARRIVAL SCAN

Oct 27, 1999
11:20 P.M. INDY 81ST, IN, US DEPARTURE SCAN
9:08 P.M. INDY 81ST, IN, US ARRIVAL SCAN
7:30 P.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US DEPARTURE SCAN
6:26 P.M. LOUISVILLE, KY, US ARRIVAL SCAN
2:19 P.M. WHITES CREEK HUB, TN, US DEPARTURE SCAN
12:52 P.M. WHITES CREEK HUB, TN, US ARRIVAL SCAN
6:45 A.M. MONTGOMERY HUB, AL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
3:59 A.M. MONTGOMERY HUB, AL, US LOCATION SCAN
12:29 A.M. MONTGOMERY HUB, AL, US ARRIVAL SCAN

Oct 26, 1999
8:34 P.M. FT WALTON BEACH, FL, US DEPARTURE SCAN
7:48 P.M. FT WALTON BEACH, FL, US ORIGIN SCAN
6:31 P.M. US PICKUP MANIFEST RECEIVED

As a previous post said, you CAN ship via USPS from ffl holder to ffl holder. However, both of you must prior to shipment notify the Postmaster on the correct form and wait for permission to ship, put a copy of the Postmaster's approval in the package and go to it.
The UPS automated system seems to go berserk at times.
UPS has an obligation to deliver a residential destination package to that address only. I happen, also, to have a shop in my home, and it is classified as a RESIDENTIAL delivery. Consequently, if it doesn't need a signature, it gets left. I have, however, trained my UPS driver to put the package inside the storm door out of sight.
If you have trouble with packages being left on the doorstep, try having them sent COD. They aren't about to leave a COD on your doorstep.
Does anybody know of a better way to ship handguns? Don't say Fed-X until you have tried it a few times. Courier services can run into hundreds of dollars per delivery. Air lines will have you arrested on the spot. Bus lines will ship your package...sort of...with damage you have only dreamed of in nightmares. I absolutely give up. What is the answer?

Aaaaahhhhhh . . . . the Mk I is HERE. Don't ask me where that info above came from, I'm not crazy, it DID come right off the tracking website! But when I got home tonight, my fiancee had checked and it was in. Half an hour later I was holding it in my hot little hands! Anyway, I feel a lot better . . .

------------------
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back