Dallas Reporter Suspended After Controversial Report

BillCA

TV Reporter Suspended Over ‘Ambush’ of Home Defender Who Killed Two
Dallas Reporter Suspended After Controversial Report

KDFW reporter Rebecca Aguilar has been suspended in the wake of her controversial 'ambush' (interview) of a 70-year-old man.

Monday night, KDFW-Channel 4 ran a piece about 70-year-old James Walton, owner of Able Walton Machine & Welding in West Dallas, who, early Sunday morning, shot and killed and man trying to break into his business. What made Walton's story so extraordinary was that it was the second time he'd killed an intruder in three weeks. As it happens, Walton also lives at his place of business.

But today you will not find the Fox4 story on the station's Web site; there's a page for it, but no accompanying video. That's because Rebecca Aguilar's piece elicited a torrent of outrage, both on local blogs and from viewers who began deluging the station with angry calls Monday night and much of the day yesterday.

Video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=088_1192711925

The lesson here is that public pressure works.

The question here is, should he demand and get a public apology from the reporter and the TV station?

As a follow-up, I'd like to hear from any attorney on their recommendations on how to handle pushy reporters like this.

The woman's bias was obvious, but while she was rude I didn't think she was too accusatory.

I'm not a lawyer ... but as a one time reporter I can tell you there's not a lot you can do. You can tell them to leave you alone, refuse to answer, etc. But if you're in a public place there's no way to keep the camera off of you. And there's no way to keep them from trying to shout questions at you.

I have a bigger problem with taking his last gun

We all need laws which would either prevent that or specify exactly how long the cops could keep them. Maybe if you could tell the cops "I was in fear of my life" when they say "Okay, that's fine, but where's the gun?" "I'm sorry, but my attorney has instructed me not to answer any questions until he is present"
If they weren't able to find the gun, you might or might not spend the night in jail, depending on your lawyer. Your lawyer could negotiate a deal on any seizure and its duration. I know, I'm probably just fantasizing, but it could happen.

She was only interested in one story and that was to make the guy look like a gun totin blood thirsty redneck. What we didnt see was the reporter telling us that law enforcement had been called over 40 times to this mans residence for burglary calls.

I am suprised after that many times he is still alive.

I say the guy went way above and beyond in letting the police try to handle it. After that many times the poor guy probably figured out that he was going to wind up dead before long.

She wanted to make the dead burglars the victims of a bloodthirsty old redneck coot. What she got was a sad man that regretted having to do what he did because he was forced to do it because law enforcment was always there after the fact. After 40 + times I would damn damn scared for my life.

Her attempted 'interview' was totally biased and aimed solely at making Walton look like an irresponsible gun owner. She was extremely invasive and rude while trying to make him a blood thirsty killer. An excellent example of our main stream liberal press.

She should have left the poor guy alone. He was obviously quite remorseful and had no desire to look like a hero, or a killer.

Kudos to the citizens of Dallas who called and complained to the station.

Damit, it's been pulled from Live Leak.

But...

Be sure to check out her "bio," or should I say manifesto, on the KDFW website...

Here's a taste...

"I knew I wanted to help people when I was about 10 years old. My father was a union organizer for the United Auto Workers, so we constantly had company over to our house in Ohio. And the talk would always be about pay increases, pickets, strikes, improving health benefits -- everything the "common man" fights for in this world..."

It get worse from there.

I hope this can serve as a launching point for cracking down on all anti gun reporters. She should be sued out of existance and made an example of to insure that this doesn't happen again.

The video can also be viewed on Breitbart.tv at the link below.

I should point out that Breitbart has taken the very unusual step of creating their own analysis of this particular video to put the story in perspective. You can tell this isn't something they normally do by the crude set they use for their own video comments. Quite extraordinary.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6905
(Breitbart analysis: 8:03)

Turn your audio up as the actual KDFW audio is a bit low.

She should have been dumped for the garbage she wrote. She had an agenda, and that agenda was not to report the news, but to peddle her bigotry.
How do you handle an obnoxious reporter? Tell them where to go, and to go there FAST. No lawyers needed. It's not a legal issue.

Martyn

Back