Dakota vs Christensen Arms

Flyboy1969

Inactive
I need some advice, i'm looking to purchase at Dakota 300 WinMag or a Christensen Arms 300 RUM. They're both the same price $2999.99 as the Dakota is on sale close out at Cabela's. Getting a clear answer which one is a better rifle just varies on who you ask at the store and I'm not an expert and know very little about either.

Function will be near the same between the two. Form is a matter of personal opinion. How well the rifle fits you should also be a deciding factor.

Try them both on for size and see which one speaks to you the most. You can't go wrong with either choice...

Thanks Percision shooter, the christianson arms just felt really good in my hands but I have not yet held the Dakota as the rifle I am getting from Cabela's is in another state and needs to be shipped to me if I purchase it. What are your thoughts via the 300 bs the 300 RUM?

300 RUM costs more, is harder to find, and will be harder hitting on the animal and the shoulder.
300 Win Mag costs less, pretty much every gun shop will have ammo for it, will be a little less hard hitting but there isn't an animal that walks, crawls, flys, or rides on pixie dust that can't be killed with it.

If you reload, all points are moot as you can make any loading you want...

Unless you know exactly why you want a 300 RUM, I'd go with the 300 Win Mag. I haven't fired a 300 RUM, but I have fired the similar 300 Weatherby and the recoil is brutal, like a sharp punch in the face. Ammo will be hard to find and expensive if you do. It's the kind of thing you don't want to get into unless you have a very specific reason why a 300 Win Mag just won't cut it.

So have you fired either cartridge before and what sort of hunting do you have in mind?

@3,000.00 for just one hunting rifle is silly.

Also the 300 Rum is going to hurt someone.

:p

MAIN-SUMMIT-855x267.png

The shop where I used to work decided to carry a lot of Christensen Arms firearms, and a huge number of them had problems. We got a bunch of .300 Win Mag bolt-actions, and one turned out to have a proprietary thread pitch that was way too short for the muzzle brake that was installed on the rifle. All the other ones had normal proper - length 5/8x24 threads. Our only guess was that they screwed up the threading of that specific barrel and so they just decided to jerry-rig it. But that meant no other muzzle device or suppressor would ever fit on that barrel, not without a custom-made adaptor. And the threads were so short that a suppressor probably wouldn't have stayed mounted for long, even with an adaptor.

We also got in a bunch of AR-15s and AR-10-type rifles. Almost every single one had problems, ranging from bad fit-and-finish to crooked handguards and buffer tubes that had threads that were too short.

And the worst was their 1911s. We got in a few of those too, and the build quality was worse than most $700 1911s you can buy. Customers who knew 1911s would laugh when they handled it and then saw the $3000+ price tag.

I'm not sure what's up with Christensen, but I've heard similar stories from people who work at other stores. My guess is that they were fine when they just made carbon fiber barrels, but when they decided to make ARs and 1911s I'm guessing that's what caused their quality to take a dive. And maybe they've somehow gotten better since then, but they left enough of a lasting impression on me and my coworkers that I can never recommend them. I've never seen a company that used such high-end materials and managed to pass themselves off as being on the level of a company like Wilson Combat, but had such low-end quality and workmanship.

Thank you all for your help I decided to go with the Dakota 300 WinMag and it's being sent to gun werks for the G7 scope system. I'll be headed to Alaska for a moose and sheep hunt later this year and I also have an antelope tag in Arizona unit 10 :-)

Back