Daewoo imported by Kimber

Correia

Today I was looking at a Daewoo imported by Kimber, a couple of questions.

1. It comes with a thumbhole stock that makes it difficult to work the safety. Can this be legally modified without pissing off the ATF? Can you install a pistol grip or would that be a violation of the "crime bill".

2. Are parts such as the firing pin, gas rings, etc. interchangeable with an AR.

3. Are they good guns?

The Daewoo is a good rifle- No you can't modify the thumbhole legally(No US parts kits to change number of imported parts to my knowledge) No the parts do not interchange with the AR(except the magazine) The daewoo uses a gas system similar to the AK-47 If I am wrong about any of the above someone please correct me G.R. :)

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited October 16, 1999).]

I have the Dr200(223) It is a quality rifle. Basically it joins several of the best options of many semi auto variants. One draw back, to my knowledge, there are no currently available aftermarket barrels for this rifle. I may be wrong. If you intend to shoot more than 4000-5000 rounds through a rifle I would lean towards an AR or clone.
It has an adjustable gas port for shooting everything from sub sonic to high power rounds. A guy had one with a folding stock(aftermarket) mine has the thumbhole, it is more managable than one would expect. Acurassy is comparable to the AR types, being 1" off peep and .75" off scope.
The major drawback is lack of aftermarket parts. If you like it the way it is, buy it.
If one day you would like to change it around,,,ie muzzle break, collapsable stock, or different barrel, I'd pay a little more and pick up a Bushmaster. They are advertising for $730. I think the Daewoo's are in the neighborhood of $600 now.
One of the plusses the AK style gas system is one of the most reliable to date. I have no idea what the components of an AR are, but it seems a review in a magazine said, it uses the design of an AR, H&K, AK and FN/FAL, conglomerating them all to one of the best millitary rifles to date.
I'm a reloader, the damn thing throws the brass so far it's hard to tell where they went. I have to get on the far bench when I go to ranges to keep from striking people with the hot brass.

Thanks guys, (by the way I already have a bushmaster, this one is just for fun) The reason I ask about the parts is because the bolt looks a lot like the bolt on an AR. The firing pin, the little clip,extractor, and bolt face, they all look about the same, and it is my experience that those things are the only things that usually break. So thats why I was wondering if those where replaceable, thanks.

I have had a Daewoo DR200 in .223 for a number of years now. I have used it to compete in DCM matches locally. It is a very solid rifle and shoots extremely well. Its sights are first rate, although not as easy to adjust as I would prefer.

Yes, there are parts kits that will allow you to have pistol-style or tubular stocks. There are NOT parts kits that allow you to have folding or collapsible stocks. I personally plan to do a pistol-grip conversion on mine soon, as the thumbhole stock is just plain ugly. Functional, but ugly. The trick is that the parts kits reduce the imported parts content to below ten parts, thus skirting around the import restriction on rifles thusly configured.

Do remember one thing, though, the Daewoo DR200 is equipped with a 1 in 12" twist, so do not try to shoot bullets over 55 grains! I have found its accuracy with military 55 grain loads to be exceptional. Mine feeds practically any .223 without complaint.

The gas system is basically like an Kalashnikov, but features a FAL-like regulator at the front. The bolt carrier and such are similar to the AR15, but not interchangeable. The lower receiver accepts AR15 mags, but does not appear to use AR15 parts. The bolt is a six-lug rotary lock-up type that is actuated by the gas piston acting directly on the bolt carriervia a lug on the gas piston, not by gas impingement on the carrier as it is in an AR15. This makes for cleaner receivers as little gas gets back there.

If you get one, trat it well, as parts are very hard to find. In fact, if any of you can tell me where to get a scope mount, I would be very grateful!

Chad, I just received an e-mail from Joe Seuk at Kimber, he said that scope mounts are availible from Ace Ltd. at 530-346-2492. Or click on the link provided above, they are there also for $29.99.
Thanks everybody for the good information.

[This message has been edited by Correia (edited October 18, 1999).]

Actually, I just called Ace and they are out of scope mounts. American Spirit Arms has them for $33.95, plus $8 s/h. I just ordered mine about 10 minutes ago and I will report next week on its quality.

Back