Daewoo DR200 (.223) ??? ……… need info

Scott Evans

Staff Alumnus
A friend is offering what he calls a Daewoo DR 200 rifle, (chambered for .223) for sale. He claims to have purchased it new and to only have fired 100 rounds through it. He has described it as an excellent weapon “better then his AR”. I told him that I would like to inspect and fire the weapon before I say weather I am a potential buyer or not.

My questions are; if I like how it performs what reputation has the firearm? Any design flaws that are known? Any horror stories? Any glowing reports? And what would be considered a great buy?

Last: why would I consider putting off the purchase of the new AR-15 I have my eye on in favor of this? (i.e. how do they compare?)

I have absolutely no information on this weapon at all and my friend has the reputation of getting the better end of the deal in transactions like this.

------------------
“This is my rifle, there many like it but this one is mine …”

I have the .223 and 7.62X39mm. They are excellent rifles. The dr 200 shoots as well as an AR with a comparable weight barrel. The dr 300 (7.62X39mm) will group just under or just over an inch. Not bad at all.
Basically this rifle combines major features from several different rifles. None of these parts are interchangeable with other rifles. It has the FN style gas adjustment for anything from subsonic to highpower rounds. An AR style bolt, magazine and trigger assembly, An AK style gas piston system and an H&K style sighting system. Very acurate very reliable.
On the down side as stated above parts are hard to come by, to my knowledge there are no Pre-ban models available. Since there are very few parts available to Americans, it would be almost impossible to legalize the rifle for the folding stock option.
It is a quality firearm which has employed most of the benefits of the major battle and assault rifles. There are of coarse full auto and tri bursts available to military units. Everything I have read points to this rifle is everything the AR/M16 isn't on the battle field.
Even all of this said, I would buy an AR over this rifle simply for the parts reason. I have been real careful not to get into rapid fire mode with this rifle, since I haven't located a replacement barrel as of yet. There is no doubt one can buy every single component for an AR. I would only buy the rifle if I didn't intend to get into rapid fire.
This rifle handles neglect from untrained troops, while also providing acurassy something the AK types never really got around to. In short most of the major rifles used today are from designs 30-50 years old, this rifle has picked up the best of all these features in one rifle.

[This message has been edited by M1235 (edited June 05, 2000).]

I have a DR-200 also and I have some good news for you:

1. Pre-Ban models are called the K1 and K2, which featured either folding or fixed plastic stocks. These are rare and very expensive.

2. ACE-LTD makes kits to convert these legally to pre-ban configuration with a fixed skeletal stock. Kit is $140 and seems to be of good make and manufacture. Go to http://www.riflestocks.com/ for more info.

3. The following parts in the DR-200 are common with the AR15 series: hammer, disconnector, trigger, hammer spring, disconnector spring, firing pin retainer (cotter pin), bolt cam pin, magazines, hammer and trigger pins, flash hider on pre-ban [AR100], front sling swivel, rear sight drum and detent same as m16a1, front take down pivot pin and detent. Converting to pre-ban config is easy due to this. Finding suitable stocks can be tricky.

3. They are selling now, in DR-200 configuration, for $750 to $1,000. check www.gunsamerica.com for more current info.

4. These rifles shoot very well. Mine will routinely shoot groups into 1-1.5" with good ammo. Just remember that these have a twist rate of 1 in 12". Do not shoot ammo heavier than 55 grains, as it will not stabilize. Use 55 grain military or lighter ammo. I recommend IMI 55 grain ammo or Federal 52-grain BTHP.

5. Since it uses a gas piston and regulator, not direct impingement, cleaning is easy and operation is nominally flawless. Mine has never had a single malfunction with factory ammo. The only problems I have had were magazine related.

If you can get the gun for under $700, do it, if only for collector value. If you want something to shoot a lot, look into a nice Bushmaster AR.

Hope this helps!

Just one thing:

K1 and K2 are not the same. If I recall, K1 is an officer's carbine and the K2 is a rifle. DR200 is a civilian version of the K2.

K1 has a bolt/gas system similar to the AR-15 unlike the K2, which has a hybrid AR/AK bolt/gas piston system.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I had the folder, which IIRC, was the K2. It had the Kalashnikov gas sytem, with a regulator, as described above. The stock was a beauty, and it locked rigidly in place both when open and closed. It's been over ten years, but I now know that it should have been a keeper. :( If the other gentleman is correct regarding the twist, that barrel should hold up well with the service ammo. BTW, I never had any problem with it using good AR mags.VL

I had the chance to pick one of these up last year for an excellent price but I hesitated and then it was gone. I'm still kicking myself about it. :(

You should get it and the AR, then you could be really happy!

I have had the folding stock version AR100 for about a year now and it is great. As stated above parts are nonexistant for it. I bought a DR200 this morning just to have set of spares. A friend wanted $575.00 for it and it is unfired in the box. I couldn't pass it up as the used ones are going for between $700 and $900 when I can find them.
It's unfortunate that more of them didn't make it into the country, Daewoo makes a good product and IMHO they are as well built as a Bushmaster or Colt AR.

------------------
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are.

Found some more info on Daewoos. This is from "The AR-15/M-16 Handbook."

1. K1 - Gas system and trigger from the AR-15. Folding stock, .223. Not common
2. K1A1 - Gas system and trigger from the AR-15, folding stock, LEO only, 1 in 7" twist, .223.
3. K2 - Gas piston system, 1 in 12" twist, fixed stock, .223.
4. DR-200 - Civillian K2, thumbhole stock, .223, 1 in 12" twist. Fake flash hider.
5. DR-300 - same as DR-200, but in 7.62x39.

Apparently, the design is highly regarded, as it has the best of several worlds in it. If it was not for the flood of cheap surplus M-16s from USA, it would likely be a more successful gun. Personally, I would love to see a US manufacturer make these rifles. I adore shooting mine, but I am terrified that if I break something, I will be out a perfectly good rifle and have no spare parts!

Ok, folks, let's start a campaign to get some US companies to make DR-200s, DR-300s, and a nice Us-Made SKS!

If anyones interested, I put mine up on the rifle classifieds board. Sorry Scott, I'm not trying to take away from your post.

Back