Daewoo DP51 9mm Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock Raider

Okay my brother has bought a Daewoo DP51 a korean 9mm pistol that takes Smith&Wesson 59 series mags. He seems to think this will be a good CCW If and when we can get a carry law passed. I told him maybe he should trade it off on something that has been proven to be reliable like a Glock 19 :) besides If the dang thing breaks finding parts could be a challenge. Opinions welcomed /thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by Glock Raider (edited September 02, 1999).]

It is a good gun... Wolf Springs should be able to outfit him just fine - other than that, yeah - he is S.O.L.
But if he likes the gun, go ahead and use it.
Fearing a breakage is no reason not to. This isn't an 1890's Peacemaker or something.
Drive it till the wheels fall off. I have fired a couple and found them to be very reliable. Accuracy is acceptable for defensive shooting.
The question is - Can he find a good carry rig for it?

------------------
"The rage is relentless... We need a movement with a quickness.
You are a witness of change and to counteract - We gotta take the power back!"

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

'am trying to delete my double post!!!

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited September 21, 1999).]

I have DP51 13 feed mag and it works very well. I shoot 400 rounds more or less already and still working well. My only problem is I can't find any spare of magazine to buy in Manila, Philippines. Now that I read some S&W magazine alternative to use - it would be fine for me. About spares of getting worn out soon, I still believe gunsmith can make repairs, if it won't work anymore we can properly dispose it and replace by onother one. So, far I can't see any smallest wear and tear on the barrel of my DP51 despite of the nos of rounds already shots, still mirror like and shining. Why not keep using always on shooting range and see how far it goes - it is the only way we can prove.

[This message has been edited by stdalire (edited September 21, 1999).]

You can get a very well made and designed concealment holster for the Daewoo DP51 from Kramer Handgun Leather. Punch them up on the internet.
The Daewoo is a sturdy and accurate pistol IN THE RIGHT HANDS. Usually, lack of accuracy with it is due to use of the "Weaver" stance and grip. Like the S&W 5906, you have to use the Isoceles and its turned to the right grip to get tight groups.
You magicians who can shoot wide grip frame pistols using the Weaver have larger hands than most. If you can do it with small hands, make a video; I'd like to study your technique.

I do have a Daewoo DP51 9mm. It is a good gun. But, my question is that has your brother ever disassemble the gun like cleaning purpose? Because strip down the Daewoo is really pain in ass. It took me about one week to find out how to strip the gun. Also, I think now Daewoo doesn't export firearms anymore. They get too much pressure from the Korean government.

Yes, he has feild stripped it for cleaning. Too bad we have morons for elected officials that want to restrict our firearms choices. G.R.

I used to carry one as an off-duty gun (my duty gun was an issued Smith & Wesson 5906)about six years ago...that is until the rear sight became so loose that it fell off. Have a gunsmith check the fit of the sights before carrying it on a regular basis. Other than that, the gun functioned well, was reasonably accurate, and had that unique, tri-action, double-action trigger travel length coupled with a single-action pull weight.

WARNING

If it breaks you WILL have problems getting it repaired. My friend has one (decent enough gun) that broke a pin. SOL so far; only alternative is the local machine shop.

Perhaps a more common brand would be a wiser choice.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

It would have been a wiser choice - but if you read the first post - He already has it.
Reselling may work - but why? It is a decent pistol that can handle a lot of shooting. Use it till you can't.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

My Bro will probably just shoot it till it dies!!(already sold him a spare Glock22 I had) The only problem with selling to family is they want that family member discount :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back