Dad's elk down

chewie146

My dad stuck a 6x6 bull with his old PSE compound on Sunday. It took us about 6.5 hours to get his big butt out of there, but we saved the meat. What a chore that was! It was good to be able to help the guy who has helped me hunt all these years. Needless to say, I'm SORE.

dream

Bowhunting elk has been my dream hunt for many years, since I gave up on a sheep hunt as a kid reading "O"Conner".

Good for your and your Dad.

You are a very fortunate man to be able to hunt with your Dad.
My Dad never hunted a day in his life, but I still love the memory's of him.

I put down my 1st Elk last Thursday and after a dozen years of hunting with several misses and several miss-fires (flash of the pan) we had meat to pack also.
We use bicycles to carry the frame packs when we get to the fire roads.
We came upon a crew humping out a huge 6X6 non-typical and they were left in our dust!
Cherish the memory's.;)

Attachments

• P1010076-2.jpg
    P1010076-2.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P1010072-2.jpg
    P1010072-2.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Chewie146, Congrats on your dad's success and also to you for helping him with it.

Gbro,

Nice job, would that be a T/C .50 CAL. Hawken you were using?

Save me some already!!!
lol

Congratulations!

Hey Gbro: what's your bike setup? I'm going into 2nd rifle via bike this year. Terrain is mostly old 4x4 roads:
giant Ranier
Single Speed: 28x23
panniers rated for 50lbs.
2.4 Tubeless captains.
Bob trailer (70lb rating).
185 rotors on my disk brakes.

I've done a test ride: 12 miles up the canyon on dirt roads with 65lbs of water in the bob and 20 lbs of water in the panniers in 2 hours 15. I can't go anywhere fast with that gear ratio, but you can get a lot of weight moving pretty easily.

Last edited:
Here's a decent one. It's a cell pic, though.

255579_3805770539192_1959667161_n.jpg

BigR,

Its a Cabelas Hawkins (Interarms) 54.
The lock was replaced with an L&R and it has a white lightning vent.

Doofus,

The bikes are nothing special, its just that we tie the frame pack to the side.
The pedal is the bottom shelf the pack is anchored to and we just push the loaded bike up and the brakes are awesome for the descents.
The bikes are used for short day treks back to the parking area or expanding the hunting area.
My kid brother used pack's and bikes this way when hunting the Olympic Peninsula. The park service closed off the forest/mountain roads 10 miles from their hunting area and walking a loaded bike beats humping a loaded pack.

Back