(DA) "Glocks" versus (SA) "1911's" (Kimbers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHORTFUSE

I am a big fan of both Glocks & Kimbers. Just curious , can anyone out-shoot a "1911" with their "Glock"? (SA) will probably always out-shoot (DA)? When I say out-shoot I mean "accuracy" wise.

SF, I shoot way better, accuracy and speed-wise, with my Glock 20 than with my Commander. The Glock just works better for me. Of course, YMMV... only way to know is to try it yourself, although that route is a bit spendy. :)

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.
----------
Coinneach, CO CAN Operator

I can out shoot both my Glock G35 and Kimber Gold Match (accuracy wise) with my double action only Power Custom PPC revolver. Indeed, some of the most accurate shooting I have ever seen was done with K-frame S&W revolvers fired double action by Grand Master shooters.

After a great deal of practice, I now regularly beat many 1911's in the limited division at IPSC competitions with my standard Glock 17. Often, I score better than 1/2 or more of the race guns in the open class. I attribute it to a gun which just feels like it is part of my hand, and also tons of practice trying to improve a lot of little things. My 2 cents worth.

I've never been able to even come close to shooting glocks, or most other handguns, better than my 1911's. The only weapons that come close, in my hands, are Sigs and HK's.

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

I shoot my Glock better than any 1911 variant I have shot, but beat the glock with a DA revolver. I guess it is just all the practice that makes the difference.

I'm just bought my first handgun, I got the Kimber Custom over the Glock 30. Why ? Guess which one failed to fire ? Glock, jammed twice, granted it was a range gun. It was accurate, but not as comfortable to shoot or as accurate as the 1911. The Glock just didn't feel right and I didn't like the trigger at all. But hey, what do I know ? All I can say is my opinion is unbiased as I didn't have experience with either.

I started shooting IDPA in SSP with a Glock 17. Then I tried a friends 1911, a Wilson A2. Talk about a difference. I shaved 15 seconds of my qualifier with the 1911. Bought a Kimber Classic Stainless Target, and been shooting it ever since.

The 17 is OK, I still have it and always will. But it is nowhere near as natural to me as the 1911 is. And it is not as accurate either.

Do not get me wrong here. Glocks are good guns. I plan to get a 19 or 26 in the future, maybe a 30 if the price is right. But for competition shooting, you can not beat a 1911.

Johnboy

I carry both a Glock M22 and Kimber 1911. In my opinion there is no finer self defense gun than a well tuned and reliable 1911 with full loads. My Kimber is the standard Classic model with a refined trigger, eight round magazines and night sights. It is fast, reliable, a natural pointer and packs plenty of stopping power. I carry it when I feel good about where I will be today.

I have two sister G22 40 S&W Glocks. They both have 3.5# dis-connects and night sights. One has over 90,000 rounds through it. I have a bunch of Hi-Capacity magazines. I carry it when I don't feel good about where I will be today....(sometimes when I really feel bad I carry them both).

Off the bench, the Kimber will outshoot the Glocks group wise, slightly. In my hand the Kimber is no more accurate thatn the Glocks. The Glocks however are faster to handle.

If I were not raised on the 1911, I would probably drop it all together, but I can't force myself to be without one.

I Alternate carrying, training and using both dependent on what I need to do at any given time so I am current with either.

If my activity today will be mostly civilian, I tend to carry the 1911, if it will be involved with LEO or Military, it's the Glocks.

In competition, there is very little difference for my use as I feel and do well with either. Just my opionion and of course my choice....

Best Regards.....
"Make Ready and Watch Your Six"

In IPSC I use a G21 and I'm faster with it than my 1911. It recoils less fits my hand better and never jams! I run a 3.5lb trigger, 22lb recoil spring, extended slide stop, seatle slug, Grams +4 base plates. If you learn how to prep the trigger glocks can be shoot extremly fast. People who think Glocks are slow and inaccurate are just slow and inaccurate when they are shooting Glocks!

Shortfuse: I have not tested my own ability of shooting Glock vs 1911 for accuracy.

What I CAN tell you is that twice I entered an informal NRA Bulls eye pistol match at a local range and won both times with my Glock 21.

I say "informal" because we each just did 2 slow fire strings (10 shots each) at reduced targets, 4 timed fire, and 4 rapid fire strings (5 shots each) IIRC with only one handgun. (Not the once with the .45, once with the .22LR, and once with something else)

OK, with that in mind, I won by a substantial margin each time I entered, shooting against custom Para-Ordnance, STI, and other expensive 1911s.

Let me make myself perfectly clear
V :) V
that the main reason I won was I dry fired bullseye style every day for a week before each match and before the first one read the article in American Handgunner about this kind of match at least once a day for the whole week. In simpler terms, I submersed myself in the bulls eye mentality for about 8 days for each match.

ALL other competitors did not have a bullseye attitude. I actually single loaded my G21 for the slow fire strings so I would be holding the minimum amount of weight at arm's length. I gave my arm a break between shots, also. I even found a good stance and didn't move my feet for the whole slow fire string. NO, I'm not a bulls eye expert, just a Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual, but it payed off at these matches.

Having said all that, Glocks are less tolerant of bad shooting technique such as squeezing the grip or jerking the trigger than 1911s.

When it comes to practical or combat accuracy, I don't see any difference in Glocks vs. 1911s at realistic distances. I DO see that better shooters have tighter groups so mainly it's the shooter, not the gun that counts.

Edmund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back