D-Day 73 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstoolman1

On June 6, 1944, more than 160,000 Allied troops landed along a 50-mile stretch of heavily-fortified French coastline, to fight Nazi Germany on the beaches of Normandy, France. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which, “we will accept nothing less than full victory.” More than 5,000 Ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by day’s end, the Allies gained a foot-hold in Continental Europe. The cost in lives on D-Day was high. More than 9,000 Allied Soldiers were killed or wounded, but their sacrifice allowed more than 100,000 Soldiers to begin the slow, hard slog across Europe, to defeat Adolf Hitler’s crack troops.

Thanks to the greatest generation for their sacrifices.

Obviously June 6th was the largest amphibious attack, but there were many other 'D' days from the Pacific to North Africa, Italy and southern France.

When I was in the Army my first deployment was with the 16th Inf. of the Big Red One that had huge history in WWII. After rotating back to the states I was stationed at Ft. Campbell KY with the 187th Inf. of the 101st., their history in WWII is well known.

I was proud to serve in both and was amazed to learn more about their history in WWII. All the men and women who served deserve everyone's utmost respect for giving some and those that gave all. I'm sure the media will give about two seconds of time about it.

And yes, they are the greatest generation!

If you want to read (or listen to the audio version which I did) a really different take on the events, there are two books that give the German soldier perspective of what transpired. Both books are very interesting.

D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944
By Holger Eckhertz

and then the same title and author, Book 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back