CZ's or XD's for USPSA?

9mm1033

Tossing around the purchase of a 9mm for USPSA Production. Narrowed it down to either a CZ model or a XD. Not sure the CZ has the same choices for aftermarket parts compared to the XD. Any opinions?

both are good guns..the XD you can get a really trick trigger on them..that is consistent, short reset and pretty light..have seen some set up as low as 2#.

CZs you will have to get used to the DA/SA transition..but not a big deal once you are dialed in..have seen nice ones with 6#DA and 2#SA triggers..

USPSA is redoing the rules and one of the items is a 3# minimum trigger..

since you are looking at USPSA production..not much you can add so aftermarket parts are not really a factor..but the XD in .40 makes a great cross division gun..

both guns have sight available..both fixed and adjustable. the XD is pretty much skatetape, the CZ has a variety of grip options. guide rods available for both, mags are available..I think CZ mags can be had for a little less, and hosters are available for both.

You won't go wrong with either choice..the biggest differences in the two guns is the trigger, the weight and the feel of them..

and I shoot the CZ SP01 and the 75b in competition.

FWIW, I have a buddy (rhgunguy on this forum) who has shot both an XD-40 Tactical and a CZ75B in USPSA Limited and Production respectively, and he greatly preferred the CZ. For him, it was an easier shooting, more accurate, and better handling gun. He was about to start shooting the CZ full-time and then he found a deal on a Para 14.45 Limited and he's been shooting that regularly since he got it working right, but he always brings the CZ with him and on those lovely days when he want to shoot again he breaks it out for a second round. I haven't even seen the XD since he got that Para, not even when we have informal range sessions, and he's now bought a Glock 35 like I have.:p

Oh man. Trying to compare an XD to a CZ.

Just save yourself the hassle and get the CZ. If you don't like the double action, just pull out the disconnector. It's fairly easy to do if you have any experience taking down CZs. Changing the creep on them is also very easy. If you want you can go as far as ordering the single action trigger as well, it has the pretravel and overtravel adjustments already on it. If you've never felt what a CZ Champion trigger feels like (which is exactly what I just described) you would be amazed. I'd put it against any 1911 trigger I have ever felt.

The CZ's heft also helps a lot in rapid firing, as well as the barrel axis being lower than the XD's and the handle angle. It all adds up.

Do I even need to talk about how accurate the CZs are? I really hope not.

I'm new to IPSC shooting and use my CZ75B 9mm more often than not. I have used my XD40 but do not have enough matches under my belt to care about higher power factor which is one reason I bought the 40.

First I need to be able to hit the targets accurately :D

HiltonFarmer

Well, I'm about to get started shooting USPSA and I ended up with basically a CZ line to cover all bases. I was planning on shooting L10 with my XD45Tac, and then maybe getting a XD9Tac for production. Then, I got an EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Match in .38super and the XD45Tac slipped off the radar for Limited (though I can't shoot it in major PF due to the min bullet diameter rule, though I could EASILY make major PF with .38super). I got to thinking seriously about what handguns I wanted, what I had, and where I wanted to be.

Today, I took in my XD45Tac & Stag M4 to see what I could get for them in a trade. I got a screaming deal and walked out with a CZ 75SP01 & 1000rnds of 9mm in hand and a Dan Wesson Pointman 7 (.45acp, because no matter what, I MUST own a .45acp!) on order. So now I'm covered if I want to play in Production, Limited, L10 (Major or Minor PF), and 1911SS classes. The wife still has her XD40Service, which is our HD gun.

So, that's the route I went...two CZ75 based pistols and one 1911.

As glockopop said, I used a CZ-75b 9mm and then a XD-40 Tactical. The CZ is the better gun for the job IMHO. But the best gun will be the one you shoot best with. Since you are limited to 10 rounds capacity is not a issue. But here are a few issues that have relegated my XD to the gun safe:

The trigger on the XD is just "squishy" while the CZs will become quite crisp after some dry fire.

As far as accuracy is concerned the CZ has my XD beat.

The CZ is more well balanced for me.

My CZ manages recoil better than the XD.

Aftermarket parts realy should not be too much of a concern since you are shooting Production. 10 round mags(the limit for production) can de found for cheap now that the ban has expired.

My suggestion to you would be to get the decocker version of the CZ. It makes ROs nervous when you have to manualy decock:D . Also get a Bladetech DOH holster and some 10 rounders and have a ball.

quoting rhgunguy: "My suggestion to you would be to get the decocker version of the CZ. It makes ROs nervous when you have to manualy decock"

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't the decocker version the one where it has a decocker, and you have to decock it for DA mode?

The decocker version (CZ75BD) has a decocker only. The standard (CZ75B) model has a slide lock thumb safety, but can be safely manually decocked by grasping the hammer and easing it down as you pull the trigger. There is also a single-action only model (CZ75SA). The difference being that when you ease the hammer down on a 75B it doesn't rest on the firing pin, but in the "half-cock" postition as if it were decocked with a decocker. I have witnessed rhgunguy do this at several matches, and the ROs always hold a very deep breath while he does it.

While the XD and the CZare popular in USPSA Production division I much prefer the XD if for no other reason then the trigger can be made much, much better.

I've already made my decision and chose the Tactical 9mm XD. Sent it away for a trigger job and have enjoyed shooting it in USPSA Production class.

Back