Czech VZ-24 Mauser

Destructo6

I've found a CZ-made VZ-24 (K-98 copy) Mauser for $99 at a local shop. Things seem to be in pretty good shape, with the exception of the finish, which is nearly gone. It's in typical 8mm Mauser.

What's the story with this rifle? Are most K-98 parts interchangeable with this? What's the general opinion regarding quality?

I need a Mauser (or copy) eventually, but don't really want to pay the $300 for the like-new Yugoslav Mausers currently on the market.

The VZ 24 was the main arm of the Czech army between WWI and WWII. The Czechs also exported large number of them to other countries like Yugoslavia, Rumania, Lithuania, China, Brazil, Columbia, Peru, Gautemala, Venezuela, etc, etc. Large numbers of them were used by the Germans and their allies durring WWII. Large numbers were captured by the Soviets during and after WWII and sent God knows where.
After WWI, the Germans were forbidden by the Treaty of Versailles from making 98 Mausers, so the slack was taken up by the Belgians (FN) and the Czechs in the inter war years.
These rifles are standard 98 Mausers. The recievers should match the standard German Mauser down to .001".
These rifles were of excellent quality when they left the factory years ago. They are considered excellent material for custom gun making today.
I'll bet your bolt doesn't match the reciever in serial number, which is O.K., but have it head spaced before firing to be safe.
See some additional comments on these rifles, which have recently come on the market in large numbers, under the thread "Old bolt Actions".

They are quality service rifles and probably a bit better on the steel quality than the german guns. I have one I put a Fajdin stock on and a 2.5x Simmons and turned the steps out of the barrel. Have been hunting with it for almost 20 years and see no reason to replace it. Cost me 40 bucks to have the bolt handle redone and the drill and tap for the scope but that was some time ago. I payed $15 for the gun to a buddy that got it for about nothing in a trade deal.

Back