cz97b v baby eagle

old_yout

I'm leaning towards the CZ, but in reading past threads there have been some good things said about the baby eagle. Reading appears to suggest that the baby eagle is a "CZ clone". In a good way or a bad way? There was also some mention about polygonal rifling that I didn't quite understand. Something to the effect of lead build up, I think.
Anyway, does anyone care enough to convince me that the baby eagle is a better purchase than the cz97b?

As far as I know neither the CZ or the Baby Eagle have polygonal rifling. If they did (like an HK or Glock) all that is required is the just of jacketed bullets to prevent lead build up.

The only advantages of the Baby Eagle is it comes in a size which is slightly smaller than the CZ and I think they can be had for a few dollars less. To it's advantage, the CZ has a properly placed safety (frame mounted instead of slide mounted), an all steel construction and a superb reputation for reliability and accuracy.

I plan on getting a CZ-97B myself sometime early in 2001.

Joe

I own an EAA Witness in 45ACP. (The frame is wearing a 38 Super top almost exclusively nowadays.)

But I plan on getting a CZ97.

Joe said it all.
The CZ is the better pistol. UNLESS you want to be able to engage the safety while the gun is uncocked which some models of the Baby Eagle allow I believe. Most don't care about this.

CZ97 vs Baby Eagle

CZ 97 B is a large frame pistol designed as .45 addition to original CZ 75/85 in 9mm and 40 SW. Baby Eagle is a clone of CZ 75 manufactured in join venture of Tanfoglio (frame - both, steel and polymer) and IMI(slide and barrel with polygonal riffling), assembled by Tanfoglio. It is marketed here in Europe as "Jericho".
Depends on what caliber do you want and what frame size fits your hand, go for CZ 97, or CZ 75/85

CZ

I have a CZ97B,and have been impressed by its quality.Very beefy slide and frame,nothing fancy,just a good,sturdy handgun.Very accurate-under 3" at 50M with 230 gr. ball ammo.Big and bulky,though-you need big hands to feel really comfortable with it.

Joe Klug
As far as I know neither the CZ or the Baby Eagle have polygonal rifling. If they did (like an HK or Glock) all that is required is the just of jacketed bullets to prevent lead build up.

The only advantages of the Baby Eagle is it comes in a size which is slightly smaller than the CZ and I think they can be had for a few dollars less. To it's advantage, the CZ has a properly placed safety (frame mounted instead of slide mounted), an all steel construction and a superb reputation for reliability and accuracy.

I plan on getting a CZ-97B myself sometime early in 2001.

Joe

I am familiar with both pistols and have owned the Baby Eagle in .45 ACP.
The Baby Eagle barrel does have polygonal rifling.
With all due respect, safety placement is a matter of personal preference.
In my hands, the Baby Eagle felt better than the CZ97B.

high_caliber,

My mistake on the rifling. I have not heard about polygonal rifling in the Baby Eagle series before now.

You are also correct about the safetly placement. I tend to forget that some people actually like a slide monuted safety. :)

Joe

Back