CZ97B comments?

Peter M. Eick

Any thoughts about the CZ97B? I am considering one as a something different, sort of fun gun. No particular purpose, just want another 45acp but not another 1911 style gun.

I've handled the CZ-97 and the grip is quite large for my small hands. This might not be the case for you, though. It's supposedly every bit as good as the CZ-75B in terms of accuracy and reliability. If the CZ-97B is comfortable in your hand, do yourself a favor and get one. You should be able to find one for around $450.

Second what was said above. I rented one at the local range and it was quite the nice shooter. All of the quality you expect from CZ and a great price.

The only downsides were the gun was a bit thick in the grip for me and the gun is a hefty-sized pistol. Might be OK for open carry or recreational use; but probably a bit large for CCW.

I have a question about the CZ-97, so I will add it here. Single stack .45s hold ~7 rounds, while double stacks hold ~13 rounds of .45, so I am wondering if the 10 round mag is a double stack that is blocked somehow, or if it is semi-staggered. If it is semi-staggered, do the rounds take up the entire thickness of the mag tube, or is there a capacity limiting feature in the mag?

In short, was the magazine designed by engineers or Democrats?

IIRC, it was designed from the get-go for ten.

I too, would echo the sentiments about it's size. The Witness in .45, also 10rds, is scarcely larger than the CZ-75 in 9mm! So, I wonder why they made the 97 so much bigger.

The magazine looks like it was designed to be a ten-rounder. It has a double column feed at the bottom, gradually narrowing to a single column feed at the top.

Not sure why the gun is so big; but it certainly makes for an easy shooting .45 with fast follow-ups.

I have shot the Magnum Research copy as well and was very pleased with it - although I'd give the edge to CZ just on looks and finish.

Well I bought it. Nice looking gun, but due to the weather it will have to sit in the box for a bit.

Looks like a great shooter, well polished and really tight overall.

Thanks for the advice

Back