cz97 FTF winchester silvertips HELP!

ddt4free

While shooting last weekend a friend was unable to get a single winchester silvertip to feed. I mean we went through maybe half a box each time trying to get it to feed before manually dropping the round in the chamber! The tips of the rounds would deform as they slammed into the feed ramp.

He asked me for advice. I told him to write winchester and Cz. He loves his gun so i didn't recommend gunsmithing until he hears back from from cz.

What else should I tell him? have any of you had similar experiences with cz97 .45 or silvertip ammo. I've heard silvertip is POS Ammo in an auto but never shot any so i don't know myself. I have also heard that many .45's don't like HP ammo. True? The gun is SWEEEEEEEET with fmj ammo.

It was sad cuz he had to watch our cz75's take a lickin and keep on kickin and kickin and kickin. The only way we managed to get the 75's stop working was to run out of ammo.

Thanks -ddt4free

Try different HP ammo; Federal, Remington, Georgia Arms, Pro Load, CCI, etc....

Suggest NOT getting hung up on one specific load.

I agree with...

...WESHOOT2. Try different ammo. In auto calibers, 10mm and .40 Silvertips have outstanding reputations for their respective calibers, as does .32, 9mm is decent, while .45 is known for being a somewhat underpowered, light and mild-recoiling 185gr load.

I'll say this, though, .45 STHP's do have a rep for being very feed-reliable. Back in the day, the conventional wisdom with 1911's was "If it'll feed ball, it'll feed Silvertips". Odd.

Did the rounds feed alright when you manually retracted the slide and let it slam home? Or released the slide with the slide catch? The loads might not have been strong enough to cycle the slide properly.

Thanks Weshoot2 and Tamara

You are so kind to help me with this. I had suggested he try Golden Saber or Gold Dot(i have never shot them either though). Honestly, I think the one fmj handgun round that I would feel would be the best for home D would be the .45 fmj.

He was set on using the silvertips for home defense and was upset by the twenty dollar's he paid for the box. I think of it is a valuable lesson for twenty bucks. The lesson being that brand loyalty and gun hype can't be counted on nearly as much as actual experience and performance. Thank You kind folks again. -ddt

Ether cool name

Yes, Ether we tried all of that and more. we tried full mags, and mags w/ just one round. we tried the slide release, we tried racking to the rear and letting fly, we tried just jiggleing the damn thing in there to no avail. the 97 fed everything but the silvertips. It was wierd cuz you know that most times when you get a ftf you just rack the slide again and it will go right into battery but these silvertips were stuborn as a missouri mule. I could not believe that we could not get one round to feed from the mag.

None of us are "experts" though. We are all just some good ol boys that have been shooting since childhood. Thanks Ether -ddt

Back