CZ82 question

essohbe

I have a CZ-82 (9x18mm). Can I shoot .380 in it also?
Since .380 = 9x17mm, wouldn't the same rule apply - like how you're able to shoot 9x18 Makarov in a 9x19 Luger?

I have a CZ-82 (9x18mm). Can I shoot .380 in it also?
Since .380 = 9x17mm, wouldn't the same rule apply - like how you're able to shoot 9x18 Makarov in a 9x19 Luger?

Not a good idea. A .380 round in a Mak-chambered gun may fire, but the .380 round is slightly smaller in diameter, so your accuracy will likely suffer and you risk causing damage to the bore. The 9x18 round is more affordable and harder hitting anyways, so it makes no sense to shoot .380 from in any case. A practical example would be the CZ-83, which is almost identical to your CZ-82, but is available in .380 and 9x18 (as well as .32acp)... would CZ bother designing a .380 gun, if it a 9x18 gun could do both?

I am pretty sure you can't shoot 9x18 Makarov in a 9x19 Luger either. The Makarov round is slightly but noticeably larger in diameter, odds are you wouldn't even be able to chamber a 9x18 round into a gun designed for 9x19. If you somehow force it and then fire the gun... very bad things will likely happen.

Additionally, it's not a good idea to fire 9x19 in a 9x18 gun. You may be ale to chamber a round, and even fire it, but the higher pressures will sooner or later damage or possibly even destroy the gun.

With semi-autos, use only the cartridges for which the gun is designed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the .380. I've seen a 9X18 chamber in a Berreta 9x19, you can fire it fine; However, I know not to put 9X19 in a 9x18 (it won't go into battery).

I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever, but I still maintain one can't fire 9x18 rounds in a typical 9x19-chambered gun, in fact that was probably part of the intention of the 9x18 design. I've owned several 9x18's and a couple of 9x19's too and would bet money that it can't be done safely (if at all) with an unmodified, in spec 9x19.

From the Makarov.com FAQ's:

I found a good deal on 9x18M ammo. Can I fire it in my 9mm Parabellum?

AGAIN...NO! Like with .380 guns, 9x18M should not chamber and may rupture your barrel. Don't do it!

http://www.makarov.com/makfaq.html

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRE 9x18 ROUNDS IN ANY GUN CHAMBERED FOR 9x19!!

The bullet diameter of a 9x18 round is .363-.365", while the diameter of a 9x19 round is .355". You will create significantly higher chamber pressures by attempting such a foolish stunt.

Regarding the firing of .380 in any firearm chambered for 9x18: Here you have the opposite situation with the 9x18 round having a bullet diameter of .363-.365" vs the .380 with a bullet diam. of ca. .354-.355". In this case, the .380 bullet is significantly undersized by .010" or so and can literally fall through the bore of a 9x18 firearm. While it may work from a mechanical aspect, the practice is totally pointless and definitely NOT recommended.

Cartridge interchangeability myths have been around for decades, mostly to help unscrupulous dealers to sell "turkeys" for which ammo was somewhat hard to come by. One instance that comes to mind is the old myth about the Astra 400 being "intended" to shoot a wide variety of 9mm cartridges when, in fact, it was only intended to shoot the 9mm Largo.

When the 400 was first sold in large quantities as surplus in the U.S., 9mm Largo was difficult to come by in any significant amounts, so the importers perpetuated an old myth that the gun was also intended to shoot .38 auto, .38 Super (!), 9mm parabellum, 9mm Browning Long and .380, all of which was a very dangerous practice.

Use only the cartridges for which the arm is intended.

Back