CZ75B safe carry mode ?

rblack

I have a CZ75B with the firing pin safety. After the round is chambered and the hammer lowered carefully, the safety will not engage like on my Witness. Is this a safe carry mode with the hammer down on a loaded chamber, I assume that what the firing pin safety is for. Is this correct?

Thanks
Rod Black

Yes the CZ-75s do not allow the safety to engage unless it's cocked. With the firing pin disconecter it should not be able to fire unless the trigger is pulled back, just like on a Glock or similar pistol. Many decocker equiped DA autos do not have a safety at all just a decocking lever (Sig's come to mind). So that's normal.

Now I personally would prefer a safety that works with the hammer down.. it's an extra safety for you if someone grabs your gun (it can happen!)slowing them down and if your trigger snags something it could go off. I don't think that is at all likely (the trigger getting snagged) but it could happen.

I like my CZ-75 but I'm attracted to the Witness pistols because of the safety- and the fact I can get a 10mm one :D

shiro

If you feel brave, you can modify your CZ-75 so that the safety will engage with the hammer down.

If you take a good look at your hammer's "half-cock notch" (close to hammer face), you'll notice it has a sort of hump between it's sear engagement face and the hammer face. This hump blocks the safety from engaging by keeping the forward-left protrusion of the sear low and against the safety notch. If you remove your slide and take a look, you'll see what I'm talking about. If you remove that hump, the safety will engage with the hammer down.

If you're super brave, you could increase the face of the half-cock notch, by cutting down toward the hammer pivot, and be able to engage the safety at half-cock.

Of course, you'll have to disassemble your CZ almost completely to get the hammer out, but that's a skill you should eventually develope anyway.

Back