CZ75B regular vs low cap

Shooter2675

Buds Gun Shop has the 10rd version of the CZ 75 B for sale for almost $100 less than the 16rd version. If I buy the 10rd, low capacity version of the CZ 75B, can I simply buy 16 round magazines for it, or is there something different with the guns besides the magazines?

Thanks,

John

I should add, I live in Pennsylvania so I do not have a magazine restriction. I would only buy the 10rd version to save money, I would buy 16rd magazines extra.

Can anyone else confirm that the only difference is the magazine? I would hate to buy the 10rd version of the CZ-75 and not be able to use standard 16 round magazines.

The only difference is the magazines. If you shop around, you can buy 3-5 15 or 16 round Mec-Gar magazines (who made CZ mags for years) for the difference in price.

If you shoot IDPA, you're limited to 10-rounds, and those 10-rounders will be good for range use or IDPA games.

Thank you! I will get the 10 round version and buy the 16 round magazines separately. I'm glad I live in Pennsylvania, no magazine restrictions!

+1 on mecgar magazines. I use them in my Hi-power and Beretta 92fs, both work flawlessly and save money on cost vs factory magazines.

Can anyone else confirm that the only difference is the magazine? I would hate to buy the 10rd version of the CZ-75 and not be able to use standard 16 round magazines.
Yes It's only the magazines. I have 5 CZ'S 4 of them 9mm. Big CZ fan. You can get 16 round mag's at CDNN for a great price I got all mine there. Factory mag's & mecgar mag's. Mecgar are factory mag's by the way.

P.S I live in p.a. also.

chris in va said:
I bought a 75bd back in the early 2000's and it came with a 15(?) rd and 10 rd mag.

That was probably "new old stock" left over from the Gun Ban period. CZ and other gun makers could continue to sell and ship 15 round mags if they were made before the BAN went into effect. As the 15 round mag inventory dropped, they started to send one of each with new guns. My second new CZ came that way: 1x15 and 1x10 round. (Some unethical dealers also did some swapping-out, too.)

GarandTd, when I bought it Tuesday night, it was $475 for the credit card price. When I checked Wednesday morning, it was $560. I’m lucky I bought it Tuesday night because the price must’ve changed hours after I bought it.

Gotcha. It pays to be able to make a move immediately when you come across a good deal. Good for you.

I was surprised to see an sp01 in the mid $400s, but when I looked at the details, it was a poly frame. I didn't realize that model came in poly.

I don't have an actual CZ pistol, but I am a fan. I have a CZ style pistol and I really like the grip. It just feels good in my hand. I also like the slide in frame design.

I can confirm 100% that it is only the magazines. I live in a state with a weird magazine ban (MD). Most states with a ban, ban possession of mags over a certain round count (usually 10 rounds, though NY tried to make it 7 a few years back). Here in MD we are allowed to own any mag we want, we just can't buy, sell, trade or give away magazines with greater than 10 rounds within the state. However, we are free to go to other states to buy standard capacity mags. It is a quite common practice in MD to buy a gun with a neutered 10 round mag at home then drive to VA, WV, PA or DE to buy standard capacity mags. Of course, there is a bill in the state legislature just about every year to make it a ban on possession, but so far they've failed (it's MD, eventually it will pass, I just hope I'm out of here before then).

Personally I have four guns I bought since the ban with at least one standard capacity mag, and another from the Federal ban years ago. All three of my compact CZs (CZ P01, CZ 75 Compact, and a CZ PCR) have been bought within the past 2 or 3 years and I have two of the older 14 round compact mags and two of the newer 15 round mags. I also have a S&W M&P40c with a 15 round mag (with sleeve since it is a compact that takes 10 round mags standard), and I have a 15 year old (plus or minus a couple years) CZ 75B bought during the federal ban with one or two 15 round mags (I usually only take the gun to the range with the one mag in the gun, I'll have to check my spare mags), and I'll likely pick up one of the newer 16 round mags next time I'm at a gunshow in PA or VA. So far, all of my standard capacity mags have been bought in VA (except for the 15 round mag on the CZ 75B which was bought when I could still legally buy them in MD).

They do the mags the same way they did during the federal ban years back. Dimples or other modification of the mag body or follower (or both). They don't change the gun. Enough states have 10 round restrictions that there is still a financial incentive for magazine makers to continue making the neutered mags, and no state requires a modification to the gun.

My guess, they were over stock on the 10 round version and put it on sale to move the excess inventory. I see your post is 11 days old, I'm sure the sale is over. I hope you moved on the CZ on time. If not, next time you see such a sale, buy with confidence that you'll be able to get regular mags after you buy the gun.

Edit:
I only read about half the posts when I made mine. I see you went ahead and bought the gun. I'm glad you got it on time to get the discount! You'll love your new CZ!

Last edited:
Good buy Shooter2675. I would have suggested you buy it. The ten rounders are good for training and the normal 16 round factory magazines are $39.

Man! I wish I could have jumped on that deal. I own 3 CZs SP01, PCR, and 75B and hands down my favorite is the 75B, so much so I've been debating getting another 75B. a $100 dollar discount would have made that happen. You can get Mec-Gar 16 round mags all day for less than $25 online, please don't spend $50+ for them like some people do.

Back