CZ75B or EAA Witness?

I heard a lot of complaints about the Witness guns, but few about CZs...

(I have a CZ-75 and love it.)

I suspect that if you got a Witness for a really good price, it could be made to work right. But why bother?

IMHO, buy both used for about $250 each, then take them out to the range and put at least 500 rds each with as many different kinds of ammo that you can. Then YOU can determine which is better, because what is better for me may not be better for YOU. After YOU made your decision sell both and buy NEW the one you like. They are both fine guns, but I would consider the baby desert eagle also. For me the witness was more accurate than the CZ75, but lots here like the CZ75 and feel that it is more accurate and reliable. I think more people use the witness in competion than the CZ75. GOOD LUCK !

I'll just ask for opinions thanks :)

If I could rent them I would, but I've never seen them to rent. To find two used at cut rate prices, shoot them, and sell them without loosing money is far more trouble than it's worth.

I thought thats what forums like this are for? Exchange of ideas, opinions, information?

[This message has been edited by BB (edited January 17, 2000).]

BB,
Opinions are just that, If you are a gun enthusiest, and thats why you are at TFL. I would go out of my way to get what is right for me, especially with firearms. Even if it means losing a few bucks !

i like the CZ75 design. i have owned 3 CZ's in the past, two CZ75s and one CZ85. i plan on getting another CZ85 if one comes up used in my area.

i just received my EAA Witness 10mm Standard. it is a wonderful gun and so far has performed well above it's $300 price tag. as for early Tanfoglio guns (P9, and other early imports), i do have to say that they had a flaw with the slide stop pin being too soft.

the one thing i like about the EAA Witness design is that u can utilize the safety when the gun is in DA moce. u can't do that with the original CZ design. the grip design has changed on the newer CZ75/85 design, so do try both to see what u like.

by the way, if u find a CZ85 with an integral adjustable sight (using a very wide dovetail), DON'T get it. the rear sight will sahke loose and fall apart. get fixed sights or one of the newer adjustable sights using the regular dovetail...it kinda looks like a Bomar.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

Mik, it's stange that you say that:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>the one thing i like about the EAA Witness design is that u can utilize the safety when the gun is in DA moce. u can't do that with the original CZ design.[/quote].

I have a CZ-75 (no 'B') and I can apply the safety with the hammer down. Maybe that changed with the addition of the firing pin safety.

The EAA are clones of the early CZ75s sans the scalloped slide serraitons to save money on manufacturing. CZ changed the backstrap, the trigger guard, the hammer from spur to rowel and more recently added a firing pin safety. EAA, smartly IMHO, hasn't made any of these modifications. Some EAA pistols are excellent while others are rats (do a search in this forum). I think that CZ has higher QC but I don't like the changes they've made to the CZ75. If you want something closer to the original get an EAA. If you inspect the pistol closely to determine fit and finish you diminish the liklihood of trouble in future.

I don't know about EAA customer service but CZUSA stands 100% behind their product.

BB,

You are correct, the idea of this forum is to exchange ideas and to hopefully save money by not buying lemons.

Chaho,

I'm sure your suggestion was well meant but it's very impractical. Do you buy used pistols, decide which you like, and later sell them to buy NIB versions? At any rate a used pistol that proves trouble free is no indication that purchasing one NIB will turn out the same. I won't speak for BB but I cannot afford to do this. As for wanting to have the best defense tools possible, I think we all aspire to that, but it seems most want to take a more practical approach than what you suggest.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited January 17, 2000).]

One of the things I've noticed between these two are the "hammer guard" or what would be the grip safety on a 1911. The EAA has a very long, swept-back guard while the CZ is shorter and less pronounced. I know it's a personal preference, but I have a strong dislike in these long guards. I think they make CCW harder and more uncomfortable, and nearly impossible cock the hammer with your thumb while keeping the pistol on target. This has been one of the reasons I never bought a EAA before now. I had been interested in them in the past because they are one of the few offerings in 10mm, and I thought they would be similar to the Bren 10. If they only had Hi-Cap mags! My TZ didn't have a guard like the Witness, it was more like the CZ, which is why I find the CZ interesting.

all three of my CZs could NOT put the safety on with the hammer down. this may have changed as i haven't had a new CZ75/85 in over 3 years, i haven't had any of the newer versions that CZUSA is importing with the firing pin safety.

------------------
Mik

<A HREF="http://"http://marina.fortunecity.com/harbour/347/10mm.html"" TARGET=_blank>my 10mm page</A>

BB,
My Spningfield Armory P9C's safety is able to function when hammer down while my new CZ85 Combat (two-tone serial number G25xx) (tested-fired March 1999, purchased December 1999) isn't.
This CZ85 Combat came with a test target that indicates a group of 4.40 cm. (1.7 in) at 25 metre with S&B ammo. I chose this pistol from 6 of them at the store because it has the smallest group of all. It shoots great, very accurate and fits my hand well. Best.

The long tang on the EAA pistols is unattractive. As well I don't see any practical need for it. If you're comfortable with all the changes CZ has made to the original pistol I'd say go with what you like best. Be aware that once bought CZs and EAA lose their value rapidly. Make sure that you want one of these pistols as later trading it in or selling it implies a hefty loss.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Again Mik, mine is a relatively early 90's CZ-75 serial No. K32## and the safety will go on with the hammer down (or in any other position for that matter).

I have a CZ-75(1989) and a CZ-75B(1996) both wont go on safety with the hammer down. I look at some EAA but the CZ'S had a better feel in my hands. Also on the right side by the ejection port is a number that is the year it was made.

Back