CZ75 vs. EAA Witness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mylhouse

Greetings!
I am in search of a new 9mm to go with my Sig 226, KP95, and USP9. I have looked at both the original CZ and at the Witness. Everyone tells me to go with the "original", but upon inspection of several specimens, I'd have to say the Witness seems to be of equal quality, has a smoother action, and has more and better finish options. I also noticed the Witness has a full length guide rod, whereas the CZ does not. Does this make any difference whatsoever?

The reason I want a CZ or a clone is that the idea of the slide rails being on the inside intrigues me. Also, I want an all steel pistol in 9mm (my others have various non-steel frames). Both the CZ and the Witness come with a factory hi-cap and are priced at $300. There's the rub!

So what kind of performance can I expect from one of these beauties (ACCURACY, reliablity, shooting pleasure, durability, etc)??? I respect all of your opinions and will gladly take them into consideration.

Witness seems to be pretty good, and priced
right. Original CZ is also just about perfect
in terms of everything you want from the pistol. Hard choice. I personally like
to own "original" - original Russian Mak,
original German Luger, original Czech CZ.
Short rod of CZ-75 does not make it less
accurate or less reliable. I own CZ-75B and
it feels and shoots great. The quality of
manufacturing is outstanding and barrel to
slide fit is fantastic. But I also heard
no bad things about recent Witness copy.
If Witness feels smoother, and that is what
you like, buy Witness. I bought my CZ-75
because it felt smoother to me than other
guns I had a chance to check out in the store.

I picked the EEA over the CZ mainly because the backstrap design of the EAA is faithful to the original CZ and more comfortable in my hands. That's a subjective thing, but I don't think you're going to go wrong with either choice.

I looked at a CZ what kind of finish does it have ont it it appeared to be some kind of epoxy coating. Can you use this as a defense pistol? or is it strictly a target gun? The CZ-75 I saw did not appear to have a safety. Is there an internal firing pin safety?

The gun did have a very solid smooth feel to it.

I'd vote for the CZ. I think the CZ-75 is one of the most under-appreciated handguns out there. The Witness is probably a bit more refined, but the CZ is a true piece of history. I bought mine just for fun... I didn't expect very much of it... but I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with this gun. A good gunsmith can slick the action up and then you'll have an auto pistol with one of the best DA trigger pulls out there. Enjoy which ever one you decide on.

JJR,

Same here. I'm not crazy about CZ-75, but
the fact is that it's design and quality
of manufacturing are superior to nearly
any pistol in its class. HK USP has a long way to go to come close to CZ-75 trigger
pull, ergonomics and accuracy potential.

Master Blaster,

CZ-75 has 15 round magazine, loves hot ammo,
feeds both FMJ and HP and totally reliable
(if you use original CZ mags, and not
this aftermarket crap made by USA magazines
and others). Guess, you can use it as a defence gun...

With nearly perfect DA trigger pull and pretty good SA tigger pull you can sure
use it as a target gun also.

It has external safety, which also allows
to carry this pistol "cocked and locked",
like 1911.

I just bought a CZ-75B and I am pretty happy with it.

I have pretty small hands and the grip design of the CZ-75B is very friendly to small hands. However, the DA trigger reach is too long, so I'll have to use "cocked & locked" mode of carry/use.

I am now thinking about getting an EAA Witness in 9mm Parabellum with the "Wonder" finish.

I have two questions. First, can I interchange CZ-75 mags with the Witness mags? Second, how reliable is the Witness? It seems to me that some people swear by Witnesses whereas others have had nagging problems and received very bad service from EAA.

Anyone care to comment?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Thinking the same, I bought some EAA Witness mags for use in my CZ-75. They would consistantly lock the slide back with one round left in the mag. If you look at the top front of the mag, you'll see that Witness mags are a bit wider and more squared off than CZ mags. Since I don't have a Witness, I couldn't tell you if CZ mags will function it those.

I own an EAA witness 10mm and a springfield p9 ultra (an IPSC clone of the cz-75) in 40s&w. I have found both to be very well made and extremely accurate. Particularly the witness. Both of mine have very good trigger pulls in both DA/SA and are 100% reliable with over 5000 rnds in the P9 and over 3000 in the 10mm. So far I have only broken the slide stop on the p9 (trying to turn a 40 into a 10mm) and no other problems.

My next gun will be another witness 10mm with a long slide option to better use the 10mm ballistics.

Go with the witness, it is cheaper and I think better built. If you are curious eaa has a web page that links to the tanfolgio web site and they talk about how all of their pistols are robotically made, very precise and controlled.

Also as a comment ask a few pistolsmiths about the witness, most will tell you that modifications are diffucult because of the extreme hardness and quality of the slides and frames. I looked into changing the rear sight for a bomar and was told it would be exceptionally expensive due to the costs involved in new cutters because the slide is so hard.

Hope this helps.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back