CZ75 magazines: what works, what doesn't

• Thread starter Thread starter BB
  • Start date Start date

BB

I'd like to see what magazines people have tried in their CZ75s and the results they got. I'd like to leave out the factory CZ mags from the discussion, as we all know they work and work well. But what about Mecgar and Promag?

I think MecGars are factory mags, at least I think they make the 10 rounders that come with all new CZ's now. I'm sure one of the CZ reps told me that once. I've tried the promags. I bought two and only put 50 rounds through each mag but no jams and they look nice. The promags do have a thicker plastic baseplate but its only a little thicker than the factory hi caps.

The 10rd mags with my .40 are stamped with the Mec-Gar logo. The Pro Mags for my 9mm do have a thicker, plastic floorplate rather than metal. They also take more effort to load all the way than the factory mags. Not difficult, just a firmer spring inside. They also display a nice level of exterior finish, which cannot be said for many of the other aftermarket mags.

Yes, Mec-Gar makes the factory mags for CZ and has for some time. I had some Pro-Mag hi-caps for a year or so and found them to be reliable and well-made.

But I surrendered to vanity and got a full set (3) of factory hi-caps from CZ-USA when they set up shop in this country. I gave to Pro-Mags to a friend after he bought his CZ and he's still using them.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

CDNN for $14.99

I bought three 15-round Pro-Mags six months ago for my 75 B Military and they have functioned perfectly at the range. IIRC from an earlier post I made, they do rattle when loaded with an even number of rounds from 8 to 14.

John

Personally, I use either factory mags or Mec-Gar (which is sometimes the same thing) in all my handguns. I feel that the extra expense is usually worth it in the long run.

That being said, I've read a few good things about the ProMag CZ-75 magazines but I've also read that it is best to replace the spring with a replacement from Wolf for best function.

Joe

My first Pro-Mag for CZ-75 worked reliably. Unfortunately, the second set of two that I bought did not.

For some bizzarre reason, one of them was missing the area of the magazine that locks the slide back (square cut there) after the last round.

The other one would not allow the trigger to reset after dryfiring.

Both went back to the retailer, which promptly issued me refunds (CDNN - great service!).

For me, the factory 15-round mags from CZ-USA have worked 100% reliably. The factory 10-round mag, which came with the gun did fail to misfeed during the break-in period twice. However, the ammo was questionable (American Ammunition of FL), so I reserve my judgement about that. It has been 100% with other ammo.

From my experiences, I stick to factory 15-round mags for absolute reliability.

Skorzeny

I have some promag 15 rounders. They seem reliable. Also changed out the baseplates with some steel ones off some old hi-power mags(usa) that jammed alot. The baseplates fit right on.

Really the base plates fit off a high power mag? I'd love to replace the platic ones on the promags as I want it for CCW. Anywhere you can get just the baseplates for cheap?

shiro

Shirokumo, the baseplates I used came off a millet 10 rounder and the other came off a usa mag. I'll bet if you try some other aftermarket mags they might work too. Try posting on accessories, maybe somebody has some old junker mags laying around and they will sell you the base plates.

I can tell you two makers to stay away from. USA and Western Metal Products. As far as what works, I've only got experience with the Pro-Mags and they worked fine.

Back