CZ550 vs Winchester 70

Nathan

Thinking about a next rifle. I’m torn between these two choices. If you have a CZ550, please tell me about it.

OK, I have one, but it's a CZ 550 Safari in 375 Holland x 2. I also have a M70 Safari in 458 Lott, starting as a 458 Win Mag., as well as other calibers from 270 to 300 Win Mags

Vs each other, the M70 is ergonomically better for me, with the American stock of the 550 still having a little too much drop for great cheek weld as compared to the M70.

The M70's bolt is a lot smoother than the CZ, but I've read ways to take the radial machine marks from the CZ to improve. It's not terrible, and I shot a lot of animals with it, but it's not a modern slick M70.

Trigger: The new M70's have an adjustable trigger that's pretty good. My CZ had a single set trigger that I adjusted nicely in the unset position, but eventually traded for a Timney conventional trigger. Kind of a preference thing, but the CZ trigger, while breaking nicely without setting it, was located too far forward. If your prospective rifle has a single trigger, may not be an issue.

Wooden stocks: Winchester finished a little more nicely, with more American type checkering, both have pretty straight grain and boring figure. CZ is more tan/blonde walnut as compared to the usual dark brown of the M70

Overall, the CZ is a great rifle, built like a tank, but took some massaging to be better. I had to re-contour the extractor to smooth feeding when new too, come to think of it.

Keep in mind that I'm a big fan of M70's too, and have several, so there's that.

Last edited:
pictures

CZ Safari vs M70 Safari

Attachments

• IMG_1333(1).JPG
    IMG_1333(1).JPG
    834.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1339(1).JPG
    IMG_1339(1).JPG
    819.6 KB · Views: 78
There is no 'vs'. Commercial hunting rifles are pretty much all the same.
A CZ M550 is a Mauser. So is an M70. MSRP on a CZ is about $200 more than the M70.
Go to your local shop, if you can, and try 'em both on for how it feels.

As a gunsmith and stock maker, I expect certain things from a rifle. It has to handle well and line up right when you shoulder the rifle. CZ 550 stocks are fatter and chunkier than Winchester M70 stocks, which will affect handling quite a bit. I like Winchesters better, they have classic lines and handle very well, CZs have a European stock design and are too fat across the comb to be able to line up on iron sights well, and the grip is too fat. But the best way to tell which one you prefer is to handle them both side by side.

The actions are very similar and both very high quality, with the nod going to the Winchester due to better finish on the metal.

Thanks. I think you guys answered my basic question.

To me, the ideal hunting rifle action has smooth cocking, smooth feeding, accurate machining, a good trigger or availability of a good trigger, a striker locking safety, good stock availability integral scope bases, open port for loading, positive extraction, positive ejection, a straight bolt handle, easy to grab bolt handle, positive grip on the bolt hand, and effective bedding surfaces.

The Winchester does most of this, but could use a better bolt handle and built in sights. The Mausers are pretty nice too, but nobody really does it all that I know. I really like my Winchesters, but wonder if there is something better.

I guess Winchester is still my action!

The Winchester model 70 has everything I want in a bolt-action rifle and nothing I don't want. That being said, the model 70 has evolved over the last 85 years such that there are several versions. I like the original style of trigger that was used until relatively recently. I'm not sure what to think of the new M.O.A. triggers..... The Classic Sporter and Featherweight Classic versions may very well be the best of them....But their reputation was built upon the Pre-War and Pre-64 versions. The workmanship of the earlier versions has features that cannot be affordably reproduced today except as custom features for those who have much deeper pockets than I do. There are a lot of model 70 rifles out there. Pick one that has the features you want at a price you can accept. Brand new is brand new, if you must have it; but I wouldn't limit myself that way. If you choose a standard-non-magnum caliber, it's a 5+1 magazine capacity rifle. If you go with 30-06 or 270 Win, there are the widest selection of rifles out there to choose from.

Owning a Model 70, and having shot the CZ a bit (brother owns one), I’d take the Model 70 any day.

The CZ is a good gun, but, I prefer the slimmer stock of the Model 70, and having owned my Winchester and several Ruger’s for a couple decades, I much prefer the wing style safety of those rifles over the CZ.

The timing of this question is, for me, quite relevant. Last week I was at the range with two good friends. Each brought their 375 H&H rifles, one was a CZ 550, and the other a winchester 70 Safari.

I got to handle and shoot both of them over the course of the range trip. The CZ was very well made and shot well too. But, I kept going back to the winchester- the fit, finish, the stock ergonomics, and the trigger were excellent!!

My money would be on a Win 70 in this comparison

Of all the rifles I've owned over the years (many), the only ones I've kept are a specific CZ550 and a modified Winchester Model 70. Let me explain.

For starters, these are the two best rifle actions out there (my opinion) for building a custom gun on. All metal parts, good triggers, CRF actions, wing safeties. Out of the box, both are good, not great. Pros and cons of both:

CZ 550
- They're quite heavy. Lots of steel in this gun. The standard stock is a bit thick for my taste, but the Lux stock is very nice. Good, slim wrist and a very nice shadowline cheekpiece. I've had some issues with the actions being sticky and having less than smooth feeding. The triggers are decent. Accuracy tends to be good. Bluing is very good. Overall, I'd recommend a Lux model, the others might leave you wishing for more. Another note on the 550 line of rifles, I find that the barrel lengths are often not what I would prefer. Too short on some, too long on others. But that's a preference thing.

Win 70
- The Featherweight is a very nice, slick, smooth, light, svelte action. Accuracy tends to be good, great once you replace or re-bed the stock. Great safety, very nice actions. The issue here is the stock. They're just too thick around the wrist and the bedding is not done well. With that said, they make a phenomenal candidate for a custom stock.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. I tend to be very critical of my guns, and these have made the cut, with custom work done to both.

If I had to pick one: DEFINITELY the Winchester.

Back