CZ Shadow 2 vs Beretta M9A3

Miles2014

Thinking of getting one or the other (or both). Thoughts on comparing/contrasting for those who have either (or both).

Thanks!

Depends on what you are going to use it for, competition etc. The Beretta was designed as a service pistol , the Shadow 2 a competition pistol.

Thinking of getting one or the other (or both). Thoughts on comparing/contrasting for those who have either (or both).

Thanks!

I have a Shadow 2. It’s a competition pistol for USPSA.

It has a superior trigger to the Beretta out of the box.

It’s quite heavy to conceal carry but it is super accurate.

I shoot suppressors so I considered the Beretta but I already have a CZ 75 Tactical which is superior in feel and function in my hands. It has nice grips and is ready for suppressor use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram Muzzleblast_MD

The CZ will be more “fun” at the range as everything about it is set up for making fast easy hits in competition. I would love one of these but it would never be used for carry or defense as I generally consider it a single action gun and that’s not my bag for SD.

The Beretta would make a fantastic HD gun that is certainly fun and not difficult to shoot but it’s not a competition gun so you may have to work harder at it.

A cheap FS 92 can be had for $500. Throw in a D spring for the trigger, adjustable sights and you have a competition pistol for what, $650? You can make a very competitive Beretta for equivalent or less price than the Shadow. That price differential can matter.

After all, if you are comparing a Shadow 2 you should be comparing the Wilson Brigadier or such in similar price range.

Else get something like a P320 Legion and put the change into ammunition or a carry optic.

EDIT: Here's the comparable Beretta:
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/92x-performance-9mm-prod127919.aspx

http://www.beretta.com/en/92x-performance/
fiber optics, adjustable sights, 3.3 lb trigger pull on SA, enlarged beavertail and o0perating buttons.

Last edited:
I don't buy the Shadow internet hype.

A lot of the Shadow upgrades should be standard on the cheaper SP-01.

The upgrades to the SP-01 are because the SP-01 lacks a lot of refinement that other base models have. Like someone said, D spring in the 92. You have to Cajun Works an SP-01 with a lot of dough to get the same results.

Yeah, I said it. :D

* I bought the SP-01 Tactical over internet hype. It wasn't half as good as said. So my grapes are bitter :)

Well, the M9/92 is by far my favorite handgun.

I currently own a M9A1. I know ZERO about the other
Gun you mentioned, so naturally i will say buy
The Beretta.

If you want a Competition Pistol, get the CZ Shadow 2.
If you want a Military Grade Service Pistol, get the Beretta M9A3.
If you want a competition version of the Beretta 92 series, check out the Beretta 92X.

For me, it's an easy choice.

For me, it's an easy choice.

I have S&W K-Frame size hands,,,
The CZ grip fits my hand,,,
The Beretta doesn't.

I maintain that grip to hand fit,,,
Is the single most important factor in choosing a fiery-arm.

Hold them both,,,
One might stand out as a better fit.

Aarond

I love the full size Berettas. The 92FS, A1, M9, ect. My 92FS I modified with the d spring upgrade and a set of thinner grips and I'll keep a 15 round group within 6 inches at 25 yards in a semi rapid fire pace. Though as much as I love my Berettas, the CZ shadow 2 is on a slightly higher level performance wise out of the box. I can get 2 Beretta 92's for the price of one Shadow though.

Personally, if I was getting back into competition, I'd start with a 92A1, upgrade the sights, springs, and grips. Use the left over money for magazines, ammo, targets, and range time.

If the M9A3 fits your hand better than the 92A1, go with that.

A better comparison would be the newer 92x series when looking at the Shadow 2. The 92A3 was introduced to try and get the military contract so it is more of a service pistol. The 92x are more competition based like the Shadow 2, especially the 92x Performance. Haven’t seen one in person but the Performance looks very nice.

There is no 'VS'. Buy the one that fits your hand best.
"...have S&W K-Frame size hands..." The only K frame that fits my hand is the 2" M19. The regular grip frame is a tick too big.
Been crying ever since the CZ-75 first came here in the early 80's. It doesn't fit either.
None of the "Wonder Nines" do. Both the 1911A1 and BHP fit perfectly.

Back