CZ Rifles

Hueco

Well, looked at some on their website. They look beautiful! I love that "sloped" buttstock!! But how are they as far as functioning? Accuracy? Specifically, I am looking at the 550 Magnum. (Yes, I want another big-bore) What do you think about them??

Hueco

Yeah, I've wanted a .458 for a while. Hefted one the other day. Very nice, and nice trigger pull. I'm puzzled, though, because I just read an article from Ross Seyfried, where he praised the .416, and cursed the .458. Anyone know why?

Maybe due to range? The .458 has a bit of a short range, it's a "stopper" cartridge. The .416 Rigby can really do both stopping and medium-range hunting. That may be it...

Hueco

Just thought to ask -- what did the article say?

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited April 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited April 25, 2000).]

The .458 is rather lacking in speed. It's hard to get that 500 grain bullet over 2000 FPS with any factory loads.

It's a good 50 yard stopper as noted, but if your looking for a true hunting rifle, the .416 gives you a true 200 yard plus rifle.

Giz

I actually just wanted a "stopper". I don't plan on sniping any Cape Buffs at 150 yards!

I still don't know if (should I ever make the trip to Africa) whether I'll use a CZ or the Guide Gun I'll be getting soon.

If you use the Guide Gun, talk to Randy Garrett for two things: 1)ammo 2)setting your trip up as a test/advertisment for his new super-hard cast loads.

I bought my .458 just for fun. I can rechamber it to 460 Wby anytime if I want longer range. It's a ball just like it is now. What a ride! I am not much one for sniper-hunting at all. I'd prefer to stalk -- be it a bunny or Nyati.

Hueco

Hello, Hueco! I rather like the CZ/BRNO rifles. I have a CZ527 in .223 and BRNOs in .30-06 and .375 H&H. All shoot and are accurate and reliable. Best.

The .416 Remington and the .416 Rigby have essentially the same ballistics. (400 grain bullet at 2400 fps) The Weatherby version is the same 400 grain bullet at about 2700 fps. In a good rifle, the Rigby can do what the Weatherby does if you reload. (and are very careful!!)

My next heavy will probably be a .458 Lott or a .460 G&A. I'm leaning to the Lott right now.

Giz

Gizmo, I'm also looking at the Lott. I am seriously considering reloading for my .458 already. The nice feature of the Lott is the ability to still use .458 Win Mag ammunition. It's like .22's -- a short can (usually) be used in a long or long rifle chambered rifle. On top of reloading, a .458 Lott #1 would be extremely versatile. If you do get a Lott, please let me know how it goes!

6forsure, the 416 Rigby and Remingtons are almost identical in ballistics -- they're like twins. Only difference I see is that the Remington is belted, the Rigby is not. I'm still not clear on the advantage/disadvantage to belts.

Hueco

I spent lunch at the gun shop today and got to handle the 550 Mag in 375 H&H. It was very nicely finished and very solid feeling. The one thing that got me was the scope mount rails. They didn't look much more secure than .22 tip of rails on my CZ 452. Can anyone comment on the ring/mount strength?

Back