CZ or MRI, and Ruger?

NancyAnne

Inactive
I've been reading this forum for about a month now, and find all the first-hand pistol info from everyone very helpful.

I've been shooting handguns and rifles since I was but a wee lass, but I've yet to own one myself. I can't wait to inherit my family's gun collection, so I'll just have to buy some of my own. I miss shooting a whole lot, and am eager to get back into it :)

I want to buy two pistols, a .45 and a .22, mainly for target shooting (fun!) but for home defense too. I plan on going shooting a lot (for me, a lot is in excess of 250 rounds per week) and since .45 ammo is a bit on the expensive side, I thought I'd balance out the fun with a nice .22.

After doing months of research, renting several pistols, and going through several hundred rounds of ammo, I've narrowed my search down to three candidates:

CZ 97 B .45ACP
-or- Baby Eagle MR4500RS .45ACP
and the Ruger MII (MK-512) .22LR

I still don't know if I want to buy the CZ or the MRI, because both are quite fun and accurate. What differentiating features can you all give to help me choose between them?

The only thing holding me back from the Ruger is all the reports I've read about how difficult they are to take apart to clean, so I called Ruger and they are sending me a manual for the MK-512 so I can check it out. Any thoughts on another good .22 target pistol?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

NancyAnne

Some have complained about the long double action trigger pull of the CZ 97. If you've rented it and like it, and shoot it well, then there you have it. I have two friends with Ruger .22 pistols and they both complain about its tricky reassembly. There is something you have to do just right. I have a Browning Buckmark (Bullseye) and it is easy to take apart, clean, and put back together. Some have complained that the plastic thing at the front of the recoil spring assembly can break easily in the Browning. Mine is still intact - no problem. Glockdoc/Frank

Reassembly of the MKII is a snap, once you've had someone show you how to do it right. Some of the guys putting them back together are doing it "hit and miss." You've just got to get a little toggle in the frame (in the backstrap) aligned in the notch on the hammer spring... Once you know to look for that, its no different than any other .22 auto. (I have a Target Competition. Its accurate and almost indestructible.)

As for the CZ .45. I've not heard much at all about CZs in the higher calibers, but I love my CZ-75 in 9mm. I have heard a lot good about the new Ruger P-97 in .45, and its a great gun at a great price.

I've got a P-90 and it is accurate and has never jammed on me. Easy to take apart and clean, also. I believe I bought it for 330 nib at a gunshow in Knoxville.

------------------
"Those that give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

I've heard nothing but praise for the CZs.

Try shooting them all, then buying the one you "must" have. After that, just buy the other ones as you can... :-)

Erik

I own a ruger and took it apart this year to fix it. Took a while to put it back together (no manual). Found out a week later it is the hardest gun to takedown/put back together. Makes you feel you have done something many refuse to do.

Other than that the gun is a magnificant piece. Don't worry about takedown. I only clean it completely once in a while. In fact it was my dads gun and I think I was the first to take it appart. I must say for never being well maintained before I got it , it was always very reliable.

As for the Ruger MkII: As has been said, once you realize that the hammer strut has to fit in the plunger end, you've got it whipped!
Some folks find that holding the gun at a steep angle tilting back while doing the final stage of reassembly helps.
I've owned the Standard and the Mk.I, and they were both outstanding rimfire pistols. Good luck with your choices and good shooting!

Regarding "difficulty" of Ruger MKII reassembly: It takes approx. 12 seconds to
do that. Just use force of gravity.
No other .22 pistol can be put back
together faster than Ruger MKII.

I do think Ruger could produce some kind of
3 minute instruction video to show these
two simple moves. That would kill this
stupid myth of "reassembly nightmare" instantly...

Back